47 Champ tapered axle mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Champ tapered axle mystery

I rented Chuck's rethreader from StudeParts to fix the threads on my 47 Champ. The rethreader has a hole for 3/4, 7/8, etc. but neither would fit my threads. Mine appear to be 13/16. Has anyone heard of this? The axle, leaf springs, etc. all appear to be factory, i.e. no modifications. Chuck seemed to think the axle should have been 7/8. Anyone run into this before?

Perhaps the threads were messed up in the past 62 years and someone cut new threads 1/16 under.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Champions before 1951 should have a 3/4", 16 tpi axle thread. Could be the end of your axle is mushroomed a little.
      Is this a split type rethreader? Try fitting it to the inner end of the threads. If it fits properly, then dress the threads by backing the tool out to the end of the axle.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Champions before 1951 should have a 3/4", 16 tpi axle thread. Could be the end of your axle is mushroomed a little.
        Is this a split type rethreader? Try fitting it to the inner end of the threads. If it fits properly, then dress the threads by backing the tool out to the end of the axle.
        Thanks Dwain.
        I guess that I just assumed that he knew how to use an axle thread cutter correctly.
        Many people mushroom the end of the axle when they neglect to place the nut (in reverse) on the end of the axle before using a hub puller. Many think that this is only to keep the brake drum/hub from flying off, but it also helps to protect the end of the axle from distortion.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
        X