rear shackles...what goes where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear shackles...what goes where?

I'm in the process of changing the rearend on my modified 54 champ coupe. The car has 2 different length shackles; according to the parts catalog and shop manual champs had 2 different length shackles, the long shackle goes on the left spring, the short one on the right spring for left hand drive cars. The commander has the same size shackles, which part# indicates the shorter of the two shackles. Why are champs and commanders different, what is the purpose of 2 different lengths on the champ? Since my champion has a chevy v-8 in it, should I change to shackles that are the same length, or should I stick with the 2 length set-up that the factory installed or does it really make much of a difference one way or another? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks,Junior.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. Stock...no way! A Stude hotrod since 1960. In my family since 1958.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

quote:Originally posted by junior

I'm in the process of changing the rearend on my modified 54 champ coupe. The car has 2 different length shackles; according to the parts catalog and shop manual champs had 2 different length shackles, the long shackle goes on the left spring, the short one on the right spring for left hand drive cars. The commander has the same size shackles, which part# indicates the shorter of the two shackles. Why are champs and commanders different, what is the purpose of 2 different lengths on the champ? Since my champion has a chevy v-8 in it, should I change to shackles that are the same length, or should I stick with the 2 length set-up that the factory installed or does it really make much of a difference one way or another? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks,Junior.
    As I understand it, the rational was that the driver's side should be higher to compensate for the driver's weight[?]. It sticks in my mind that the Avantis I owned had the driver's side one notch higher too. Personally, I can't imagine that it would make any real difference, especially in your case.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Does anyone know why Studebaker did this for the 6 cylinder models and not the v-8?

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. Stock...no way! A Stude hotrod since 1960. In my family since 1958.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
      X