Bead Blasting ??s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bead Blasting ??s

I have a newly aquired set of Avanti wire rims that I would like to use for my Lark. Sadly only 1 of them would ever really clean up as is. The other 3 all have cosmetic issues that go deeper than polish. Anyway, If I bead blast these rims, will the beads rustproof them or do I need to coat them with something?
    I have seen some bead blasted engine parts that I really liked, but they may have all been aluminium.
    Thanks, Tracy

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
    '63 Lark

Tracy,

Assuming the rims/spokes are steel.....no, the glass beads will no 'rustproof' them. Some type of coating will be required.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Don't blast a wire "wheel"...as an assembly!!!

The media will get stuck where the spoke enters the hub and the rim and degrade the joint.
      Whether painted or chrome, the wheel should be disassembled, properly cleaned, rechromed/painted and reassenbled and straightened.
      Not exactly cheap, but if yiou want a clean straight wheel.....

Mike

Comment

My swag:
        Sounds like a candidate for soda blasting and then painting.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

My swag:
          Sounds like a candidate for soda blasting and then painting.

They have a cheap powder coating kit at our local Harbor Freight I thought about trying.
          sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Don't blast a wire "wheel"...as an assembly!!!

The media will get stuck where the spoke enters the hub and the rim and degrade the joint.
            Whether painted or chrome, the wheel should be disassembled, properly cleaned, rechromed/painted and reassenbled and straightened.
            Not exactly cheap, but if yiou want a clean straight wheel.....

Mike

Can she use a chemical stripper of some type? I REALLY dont want to dismantle these wheels and she cant afford rechroming/relacing. I dont have a problem with them being painted or powder coated but dont want to permanently trash these wheels. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Are these the Dayton wheels that came on some Avanti II's?

My grandparents' '81 Avanti came with the Dayton wires. After the chrome peeled off the inside, the wheels were useless as the flaky chrome kept puncturing the intertubes.

Smart idea; stripping and coating them.

Comment

Dry ice blasting would be the cat's meow, if you could find someone with the equipment.

http://dryiceusa.com/
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Are these the Dayton wheels that came on some Avanti II's?

My grandparents' '81 Avanti came with the Dayton wires. After the chrome peeled off the inside, the wheels were useless as the flaky chrome kept puncturing the intertubes.

Smart idea; stripping and coating them.

Dont know,They look like Daytons and were Avanti II wheels.The chrome inside isnt bad and one wheel is really nice. Two could be used but the 4th is pretty bad. Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Dry ice blasting would be the cat's meow, if you could find someone with the equipment.

Never heard of this one. I will google it and see what I can find out. A local guy says sonic cleaning will take the chrome off also but his machine? wont do a wheel. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like they could be candidates for electrolytic derusting. Or simply take them to a good plater, who should be able to strip and rechrome them. Have a first-born child or two ready.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They have a powder coat that looks similar to chrome. Just bring them in and get a quote.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Sounds like they could be candidates for electrolytic derusting. Or simply take them to a good plater, who should be able to strip and rechrome them. Have a first-born child or two ready.

I have already done most of the chrome for the 53 so my first born are gone. We cant spend that kind of money on this car. I would like to rechrome them someday but I just cant do it now. Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X