Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bead Blasting ??s

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bead Blasting ??s

    I have a newly aquired set of Avanti wire rims that I would like to use for my Lark. Sadly only 1 of them would ever really clean up as is. The other 3 all have cosmetic issues that go deeper than polish. Anyway, If I bead blast these rims, will the beads rustproof them or do I need to coat them with something?
    I have seen some bead blasted engine parts that I really liked, but they may have all been aluminium.
    Thanks, Tracy

    Can't wait to drive my V-8!
    '63 Lark

  • #2
    Tracy,

    Assuming the rims/spokes are steel.....no, the glass beads will no 'rustproof' them. Some type of coating will be required.

    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't blast a wire "wheel"...as an assembly!!!

      The media will get stuck where the spoke enters the hub and the rim and degrade the joint.
      Whether painted or chrome, the wheel should be disassembled, properly cleaned, rechromed/painted and reassenbled and straightened.
      Not exactly cheap, but if yiou want a clean straight wheel.....

      Mike

      Comment


      • #4
        My swag:
        Sounds like a candidate for soda blasting and then painting.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

        Jeff


        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

          My swag:
          Sounds like a candidate for soda blasting and then painting.

          They have a cheap powder coating kit at our local Harbor Freight I thought about trying.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

            Don't blast a wire "wheel"...as an assembly!!!

            The media will get stuck where the spoke enters the hub and the rim and degrade the joint.
            Whether painted or chrome, the wheel should be disassembled, properly cleaned, rechromed/painted and reassenbled and straightened.
            Not exactly cheap, but if yiou want a clean straight wheel.....

            Mike


            Can she use a chemical stripper of some type? I REALLY dont want to dismantle these wheels and she cant afford rechroming/relacing. I dont have a problem with them being painted or powder coated but dont want to permanently trash these wheels. Steve
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Are these the Dayton wheels that came on some Avanti II's?

              My grandparents' '81 Avanti came with the Dayton wires. After the chrome peeled off the inside, the wheels were useless as the flaky chrome kept puncturing the intertubes.

              Smart idea; stripping and coating them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Dry ice blasting would be the cat's meow, if you could find someone with the equipment.

                http://dryiceusa.com/
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

                Comment


                • #9
                  quote:Originally posted by mbstude

                  Are these the Dayton wheels that came on some Avanti II's?

                  My grandparents' '81 Avanti came with the Dayton wires. After the chrome peeled off the inside, the wheels were useless as the flaky chrome kept puncturing the intertubes.

                  Smart idea; stripping and coating them.

                  Dont know,They look like Daytons and were Avanti II wheels.The chrome inside isnt bad and one wheel is really nice. Two could be used but the 4th is pretty bad. Steve
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:Originally posted by rockne10

                    Dry ice blasting would be the cat's meow, if you could find someone with the equipment.

                    Never heard of this one. I will google it and see what I can find out. A local guy says sonic cleaning will take the chrome off also but his machine? wont do a wheel. Steve
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sounds like they could be candidates for electrolytic derusting. Or simply take them to a good plater, who should be able to strip and rechrome them. Have a first-born child or two ready.

                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They have a powder coat that looks similar to chrome. Just bring them in and get a quote.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          quote:Originally posted by gordr

                          Sounds like they could be candidates for electrolytic derusting. Or simply take them to a good plater, who should be able to strip and rechrome them. Have a first-born child or two ready.

                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                          I have already done most of the chrome for the 53 so my first born are gone. We cant spend that kind of money on this car. I would like to rechrome them someday but I just cant do it now. Steve
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X