TURN SIGNALS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TURN SIGNALS

Ok, I finally got them hooked up and working, more or less. Here's the problem: The instrument indicators are both blinking regardless of which signal is activated (r/l); all signals are working; front, back, etc. AND, the other problem is that when I turn on the park lights ONLY, the signals do not work. They work with headlights on in all fashions (br/dm), and with the tail lights. Any suggestions would be helpfu. It's a 1950 stude bus coup. thanks.

Richard G. Allen, DO
    LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Do you have seperate bulbs for the turn signals? Not the parking light bulbs. Others will probably have more detailed suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that if you are trying to use the parking bulbs as also turn signals, it won't work. The parking lights work off a different position on the light switch and have common wiring. The turn signals need seperate wiring for each side of indicators. I'm not sure if the same bulbs can be used for both purposes or not, but if you are using parking lights, signals won't work on the same bulb. Back in the day, parking lights were meant for that purpose, not for being on while driving with headlights on. All the info I have for my 50 shows seperate wiring and bulbs for turn signals which were not standard on the car.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

As Bob Glasscock has alluded to in the above, have you converted the front parking light sockets from single filment bulbs to double filment bulbs? This requires removing the single contact and plate and replacing with double contacts and plate(contact holder).

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aero Blue

As Bob Glasscock has alluded to in the above, have you converted the front parking light sockets from single filment bulbs to double filment bulbs? This requires removing the single contact and plate and replacing with double contacts and plate(contact holder).
        I replaced the bulbs with dual filament and dual contact bulbs. But I did not replace the sockets. I thought I checked to see if they had dual contacts. I will check again today and let you know on that case.

Richard G. Allen, DO
        LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Do you have seperate bulbs for the turn signals? Not the parking light bulbs. Others will probably have more detailed suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that if you are trying to use the parking bulbs as also turn signals, it won't work. The parking lights work off a different position on the light switch and have common wiring. The turn signals need seperate wiring for each side of indicators. I'm not sure if the same bulbs can be used for both purposes or not, but if you are using parking lights, signals won't work on the same bulb. Back in the day, parking lights were meant for that purpose, not for being on while driving with headlights on. All the info I have for my 50 shows seperate wiring and bulbs for turn signals which were not standard on the car.

[/quote

I have separate bulbs for the turn signals. To wit, I have four bulbs: two in the front and two in the back. So, are you suggesting that it's OK for the signals NOT TO WORK when the parking lights are on? It's OK by me as long as the work all other times. Park lights come on--no signal; headlights come one, br/dm, signals ok; same front and back. Thanks.

Richard G. Allen, DO
          LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Comment

The failure to work with park lights on could be a grounding problem. Make sure all your lights have a good ground.

Comment

One cause for you not 'seeing' turn signals when the parking lights are on could be IF you have dual filament bulbs and one is brighter than the other, then the parking filament is brighter than the signal filament, so you just can't see it for the brighter filament burning. If this is the case, trade the wires to the socket so the brighter filament is the signal.

As far as "it's ok by me as long as they work", you might want to check you state law for parking lights. In Texas, it is illegal to drive with ONLY parking lights on. If it's dark enough for lights, it's dark enough for headlights.

Comment

How many wires on your turn switch?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

How many wires on your turn switch?
                  Oh, now here's the rub. It had seven wires. I can only assume that one wire was for the emergency indicators, which works. I had a wiring diagram, but the colors did not seem to match so I used a test light to determine right/left, etc. And everything else works.

Richard G. Allen, DO
                  LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Comment

Seven wire usually has a pilot indicator in the switch. It operated off the a P terminal on the flasher. At least all with which I'm familiar. What brand is the switch? Is the four way activation on the switch?

Comment

If none of the above suggestions work, try www.2carpros.com. They sometimes have useful solutions for our "older" cars.
                      /H

Comment

Working...
                      X