Gas Gauge problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Gauge problems

I know this has been covered many times on the forum and I have read many of the archived threads. My '64 Hawk has had a problem with the gauge for some time, it only reads a little over 1/2. I have grounded the sending wire and the gauge goes to full. I have checked the sending wire voltage and get 12V. I have checked the sending unit and it reads between 40 and 250 ohms. Also I have checked the ground and run ground wires from all over the place as well as checking the grounds at the tank.

So the only thing I can guess here is that the sending units being sold today have too high a resistance at full?????

Anyone have any other info?

I have seen these sending units advertised and wonder if they are adjustable so you can get the right readings?

http://champparts.com/catalog/index....roducts_id=239

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Have you checked the float position outside the tank and take readings there while providing the proper ground? Have you put in another gas gauge to check to see if there is something wrong with the one you've tested? Those are the only things I would do in your case. Check to see if there are any load problems between the sending unit and the gauge. Is there any rust on any of the connections still, but other than that, I don't know what else to say.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Yes I removed the float and checked it at E and F and inbetween. Checked the gauge with another one I have, no change. Ran a short wire to the float while inside and still same results. I think the resistance is just wrong on the sending units. I see that others have the same issue while doing a search.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
      X