Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    replied
    The tranny would not shift when in the car, with no electrics hooked up. When we originally hooked up the battery cables the car started up, as per a previous topic. I have dropped the tranny out of the car and decided to put the 3 speed back in. I just need everyone's input before I have the tranny serviced. If it's something I can do at home all the better. At $90/hour things get expensive in a hurry.
    I'm not a mechanic, but a good friend helps me out. He too is totally in the dark with this overdrive. So any help that people can come up with would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    I had the same problem when I had my 64 Champ truck. The contacts in the governor would stick periodically causing the same no reverse problem. One time the trans got stuck in overdrive and I had to remove the solenoid from the transmission to get the overdrive to disengage. I finally replaced the contacts in the governor to solve the problem. Bud

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    The overdrives are built so that they will not go into reverse while engaged in overdrive. If yours is not going into reverse, your transmission is not disengaging from overdrive as you slow to a stop. If this is happening, you should also notice less power when releasing the clutch to start off in first gear. I have had this problem with my '48 coupe from time to time. Mine is inconsistent when I have the problem. While stopped, you should be able to pull the manual cable out to disengage the overdrive and then it should shift into reverse. When you are operating the car in automatic overdrive (with your cable control pushed in) the governor grounds the circuit at about 25mph and enables the transmission to shift into overdrive. When you slow to about 15mph, the governor opens the circuit and the solenoid should disengage the overdrive. I think that in your case (and sometimes on my car) the governor is not opening the circuit and this causes the car to remain in overdrive when it should not. (If this don't properly 'splain it...somebody else chime in and let's bicker about it!)

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    So is the problem that the shift lever on the column will not move into the reverse position?

Is this true with the OD handle both "in" and "out"?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    replied
    I couldn't get the gear to go into reverse by hand using the leaver attached to the tranny case.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I had the same thing happen before. I seem to remember that the governor wasn't 'releasing', causing the OD solenoid to stay engaged. Check to make sure that nothing is grounding out anywhere.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    But will the transmission go into reverse (with the shift rod removed)?

quote:Originally posted by jmccarrol@hotmail.com

Well, I thought everything was a go. 53 Overdrive into my 52 Champion 6. Bingo-engine starts and I have all three forward gears and neutral. The gear shift will not go into reverse. Please help!!

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    replied
    Sorry, everyone that should read no reverse gear.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    started a topic No 3rd gear in overdrive

No 3rd gear in overdrive

Well, I thought everything was a go. 53 Overdrive into my 52 Champion 6. Bingo-engine starts and I have all three forward gears and neutral. The gear shift will not go into reverse. Please help!!
Working...
X