Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bige
    replied
    Thanks Bob, I'll try it without the valve first. Hopefully, one less thing to do.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied

I have Turner's kit on the front and Steel-Tech stuff on the rear with no prop valve. I can stand on the pedal and come to a very quick stop without locking any of the wheels..

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)

Leave a comment:

• bige
    started a topic Prop Valve 4 Whl Disc Brake Avanti/interim update

Prop Valve 4 Whl Disc Brake Avanti/interim update

I bought an extra booster on ebay awhile ago and it had a Strange ( probably the same as a Willwood) Disc/Disc Master Cylinder attached with a nice homemade adapter. It was a good purchase for two reasons. The rebuilt booster I purchased from one of our vendors whistles and stops working intermittently, it's maybe 18 moths old but with very few miles and the 'free' master cylinder may solve some issues with my brakes.

So I took the part number from it and started researching which led me to Master Power Brakes website. According to them a Disc/Drum master cylinder will not work properly with a 4 wheel disc application.

They also made a point of using the handbrake consistently on the Eldorado calipers. Seems they adjust mechanically via the handbrake and not using it will result in reduced braking power.

So, I'll be installing The Strange Disc/Disc master initially with no prop valve. Out of curiosity I'm thinking of rigging the disc/drum master so I can take a pressure reading on the back reservoir on the car first. I've never felt the rear brakes were working properly with the dual conversion master. It may yield some good info for future conversions.

BTW, the new brakes are going on my freshly rebuilt Dana 44. I forgot to take a picture of the final mesh pattern but I was happy with it. I know running up in the air tells very little but I was happy to hear...nothing. I put my stethescope to the axles and just heard some nice whirring sounds. Hope it's like that on the road.

Initial post...

Can anyone tell me from experience with their 4 wheel disc brake installation whether a proportioning valve is necessary?

Part two: Anyone have an adjustable prop valve installed with a pressure gage? Looking for ideas on placement if I install the valve.

64 R2 Avanti Dual master Turner disc front and now rear.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.
Working...
X