59 Hawk left and right front grille help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Hawk left and right front grille help

Front grille inserts (the grille section that holds the turn signal lights) has a stainless steel section that appears to be attached to the grille section by "knubs" that are penned over holes in the stainless steel. Or maybe something is broken on by piece.

I can't get the stainless piece to stay in place. Anyone suggestions? Maybe grind off the knub, drill/tap and install a screw?

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    64 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

The "pan" is peened to the chrome surround, from pegs cast into the pot-metal when the grille surround was first cast. The only repair is to drill and tap for a SHORT small screw. Be VERY careful not to drill too deep, or use too long a screw. You can easily drill right through the pot metal and through the chromed surface. You can use Fusor or a similar metal-bonding agent (epoxies).. to help reinforce the pan from the backside- it won't be seen.

The pan is regular steel, not stainless. If they are 1961 Side-Grilles (replacements?) ... they may be painted silver.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Sounds like I am on the right track. and not stainless, considering the surface rust.
      Why is the metal so rusty on bottom and clean on top? It does not seem to be painted though I am considering hitting it with the bead blaster and painting it silver.

thanks for the info. I have finished my car under the hood. I'll post a before and after sometime, looks and runs good.

Dell
      59 Silver Hawk
      64 GT Hawk
      Dell
      59 Silver Hawk
      62 GT Hawk

Comment

The side grille insert pans only had top coat (Silver) on the upper surface, the lower was Gray primed. Today we have way better chem-etch Primer and Epoxy Primer to cover that.

With a good coat of Gray Top Coat on the bottom over the primers you can stop the rusting from condensation under the car, possibly from road rash or being parked on dirt or grass for many years. Or just being around for 50 years! [:0]

I would not assemble them in their present condition.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X