Vintage Air in a Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Air in a Lark

I noticed that the description for the Keystone Region raffle car lists it as having a Vintage Air A/C, Heat & Defrost unit. Does anyone have any more detail on which model was used for this install?...pics? My 66 Commander has a Sears under dash unit similar to the factory A/C, but I would like to change it to a more concealed unit. I'm open to any & all suggestions......

This is the company that I have been using for a long time. And have had good luck with them. And I think they are a little cheaper. If you want under dash units click on EVAPORATOR UNITS
    http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

I installed the A/C in this Daytona. It is a Vintage Air Super Gen II with a Sanden 6630 compressor. It works very well. Like you, I wanted a less visible unit and I also wanted "in-dash" vents. The dash of the Daytona is very small, and installing the unit with 6 tubes was quite a challenge! The water inlet and outlet for the heater connections were facing the wrong way, and some creative plumbing was required.

I removed the entire "Climatizer" and installed a plate where the heater core was. I had to remove the glove box and fabricate a new, shallow box from metal. I actually ran one vent through this box and through the glove box door. Another vent was installed in a radio-delete plate in the middle of the dash. On the driver's side I installed two vents, just under the dash. The hood release and vent knobs had to be relocated.

I don't have many pictures, and obviously don't have the car anymore. The bottom line is that it can be done. It is difficult and a LOT of work. If I were to do it again, I would probably just go with an under-dash A/C only unit, leaving the existing heat and defrost.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

That install looked clean, Jim...Nice work!
        Knowing space is at a premium, it must have hurt to give up the glove box.
        How long ago was this done?
        My reason for asking is that Vintage Air has some new(er) styles out now that are even smaller than previous units.
        One might fit without sacrificing the glove box (or 'all' of the glove box)...
        Just a thought....
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

I installed the A/C in this Daytona.
        <snip>

<snip>
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff,

I installed the A/C in late 2005. I fabricated a smaller glove box, about 3" deep, big enough to hold paperwork, sunglasses and a few CDs. This allowed me to run the defroster hoses and 3 cooling hoses behind it. The 4th cooling hose was ducted to the far right, through the door of the glove box. This vent and the mid-dash vent were for the benefit of SWMBO, who doesn't view long trips in a Studebaker as a lot of fun. After I installed the A/C, we made trips to VA, OH, NY, Ontario, and throughout PA with much reduced complaining.

Since the dash of the Daytona is so shallow, options are limited. While the results were good, the installation was much more difficult than I had anticipated. I think that I would opt for A/C only rather than a combo unit.

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '78 Avanti II
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Nice to know the Super Gen II works, thinking along the lines of Deepnhock, Vintage air has Gen II compact (5 ducts) and Gen II MINI,(19in unit) for anyone interested. I personally only know of one mini unit in use in a Studebaker, and he states very cold air.

Nice work on the glove box vent, looks very stock in appearance. And 6 duct work tubes leaves little room for anything else. Nice work.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Is the Vintage Air Mini installed in a Lark? any additional info on the install? pics?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MARCHOBBS

Is the Vintage Air Mini installed in a Lark? any additional info on the install? pics?
                yes, a wagon to be exact, I'll see if I can get some pics from him.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

MARCHOBBS,

It was nice to get to see you and Sonja at the Trolley Museum Show in Washington today. Small world, eh? That's a really solid '66 that you have to work with. Best of luck with it.

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X