Clear All

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Thanks Rich!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer

Here rich are the photos where I had the leak.
    Yes it is a dual vacuum /gas pump
    Also, can I plug a vacuum hose to the fitting just beneath my finger for the wipers?
    The leak was not from a Gasket, that is the actual fuel Diaphragm, if it had loose screws, and you tightened them all evenly, it may be OK without the tank pressure trying to get out!

Yes, the vacuum fitting should/could be connected to the vacuum line from the Intake manifold to the wipers to boost the vacuum and stabilize it, so when the engine vacuum is low on acceleration the wipers will still work. They were mostly, steel lines. That would be IF the vacuum side of the pump IS working.

But, the actual connections would have to be looked up in the Parts Manual and the Shop manual, as I don't have a correct example here to tell you how the Wiper Vacuum Motor, Intake Manifold and Vacuum side of fuel pump all connect.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Check the small vent located just forward of the larger fill pipe for restriction. Or possibly your new gasket has sealed off the vent passage in the cap. A tank can pressurize as the gas inside heats and expands. Perhaps the tailpipe is helping heat the tank?

HEY, you're not Wilbur!

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Does your Fuel Pump have the dual Diaphragm type for a Vacuum Wiper Booster? If you have Vacuum Wipers it should have a dual pump, I could see how a failed vacuum half could cause some strange conditions.

Why would the fuel pump gasket be wet with fuel? Is that a fuel pump filter bowl gasket? If it is the mounting to the engine gasket, you have a failed fuel section for sure.

StudeRich

Here rich are the photos where I had the leak.

Yes it is a dual vacuum /gas pump

Also, can I plug a vacuum hose to the fitting just beneath my finger for the wipers?
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=774710359
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=774710359

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Does your Fuel Pump have the dual Diaphragm type for a Vacuum Wiper Booster? If you have Vacuum Wipers it should have a dual pump, I could see how a failed vacuum half could cause some strange conditions.

Why would the fuel pump gasket be wet with fuel? Is that a fuel pump filter bowl gasket? If it is the mounting to the engine gasket, you have a failed fuel section for sure.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

If your partially empty tank warmed up after you sealed it you could get a blast of air. Of course, this would only happen before the fuel pump had time to pull a vacuum.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    Well I filled the tank drove for about 2 days. I noticed the fuel pump leaking, tightened a few screws on the top of it and didnt think much more about it till I re-filled the tank. I suppose if the gas I pumped in the tank was really cold, and when I filled the tank. It was in the upper 80's that day I found the pressure built up but that still doesn't make much sense either.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    If your partially empty tank warmed up after you sealed it you could get a blast of air. Of course, this would only happen before the fuel pump had time to pull a vacuum.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Your tank was the opposite of pressurized, it was de-pressurized or "in a vacuum".StudeRich
    Rich I dont question your knowledge at all. But the tank definitely blew gassy air in my face. It didnt try it suck my face off.

It had so much pressure built up the gas was being pushed out the gasket on the fuel pump. Since I replaced the cap no more leaking at the fuel pump or air pressure in the tank.

That is why I found it so weird.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Your tank was the opposite of pressurized, it was de-pressurized or "in a vacuum".

Yes; all 1947 to 1961 Studebakers and '62-'64 Hawks and Trucks have VENTED CAPS!

There is no external vent on your tank, so with a sealed cap the fuel pump will draw a vacuum on the tank and eventually collapse it!

There is no replaceable "Seal" on correct caps, you replace the complete Cap.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    started a topic Gas cap rubber Seal

Gas cap rubber Seal

I replaced my rubber seal and I went to put gas in the car a few miles later and the tank was pressurized. Like I got a gas filled wind (a fart)if you will. What is wrong. Is there a vent on the tank that might be plugged??. Do I need a breather type cap?

Clueless on this issue. I have put the old cap back on for now.

50 commander 245 6 cyl original everything.

thanks in advance.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    18 years in the tattooing biz
Working...
X