Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nels
    replied
    Maybe there was a service bulletin that recommended installing them?
    I too have had plenty of Larks and Hawks and I can say I have not found them in all but I have found them in enough of the cars to be more than coincidence. None are ever crudely done and all seem to have several of the spacers cracked in two, ie. not plywood.

Leave a comment:

• mrjazzmillcreek
    replied
    I have owned upwards to 20 63-66 Larks with non of them having the wooden blocks.In most cases I have made and installed these blocks because the original seat are too low,the blocks make a big difference in comfortable driving position

Ray Martin

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    When I put GT Hawk buckets in my 63 Lark hardtop, I can remember the seats needing to be a few inches higher. With the same seats now in my 58 sedan, no spacer is needed. But I'm getting ready to put the original bench back in there soon, so maybe now I'll put the buckets in the 59 truck when I get back on it.

I've never noticed any wooden blocks under any seats (I've never looked), but I can definitely see a need for them. Several later Lark owners have told me that they installed spacers. Maybe they were installed at the factory. Early vs. late production?

Leave a comment:

• monomaniac
    replied
    Of the 29 Studebakers I have owned (some with low mileage) I have
    yet to find a single block under the front seats.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Waydon

Here is a theory to speculate about. It might be that some of the bucket seats with wooden spacers from the factory were actually bucket seats intended for the Hawks which were a much lower sitting automobile
    Waydon, your "theory" was a good thought and makes sense. But I don't think it happened, because there were only one height of seat back covers for each: Lark/Hawk and the difference were many like vertical pleats on Hawks, Horizontal on Larks, map pockets on Hawks, none on Larks, so the complete seats did not interchange at the factory (for the original look), only the frames interchange.

Yep Paul my Daytona Hardtop is the same way, I look like a low rider down there! I think when the FO installed carpet the blocks were left out!

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by nels

I have a virgin 64 Commander in storage. It has the bucket seats so I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm happy someone else has seen the wooden spacers. I still wonder what the purpose was.
    I would be very interested to know if the cars have the blocks. The bucket seats in my '64 Daytona convertible sit lower than the split recliners in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire and I would really prefer that they were higher. I thought about putting in blocks (spacers), but was afraid that would make the console look strange.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Leave a comment:

• ken-renda
    replied
    i've restored three gt hawks, all of which had a broken wooden spacers on the outboard side. I thought it was to level the seat

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    "My 63 G.T. has wooden spacers although they are split in two now. I seem to remember them being only on the outboard mounting areas though."

Warren, I noticed that none of the spcers are plywood as many are split in two as you mentioned, all are the same size from seat to seat etc. I really think they were done at the factory but I really wonder why. Waydon's comments might be somewhat right, possibly there were two different frame heights?

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    My 63 G.T. has wooden spacers although they are split in two now. I seem to remember them being only on the outboard mounting areas though.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• Waydon
    replied
    Here is a theory to speculate about. It might be that some of the bucket seats with wooden spacers from the factory were actually bucket seats intended for the Hawks which were a much lower sitting automobile so, maybe the wooden blocks were used to make up for the taller type
    Lark structure. I know that sometimes Studebaker back in the day was famous for making do with
    what ever parts were available. Look at how many years they used the original 53 Studebaker
    coupe structure....Just a theory...Waydon

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    I have a virgin 64 Commander in storage. It has the bucket seats so I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm happy someone else has seen the wooden spacers. I still wonder what the purpose was.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    My 63 GT from years ago had the wooden seat spacers. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    I for one can not remember finding any wood under a stock Studebaker, larks or hawks, maybe it is an east or Midwest thing to get you up higher so as the salt rots out the floors your butt is a little higher, maybe just enough to last until the frame lets go???
    Just kidding , but I really have not seen any yet, and just did a 64 Daytona......Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    The 64 Larks all had the steering column shimmed down. There is a rubber filler that goes around the steering column that fills the space between the column and the dash to hide the increased gap.
    I called a friend who is very knowledgable on Larks and has torn many down over the years. He knew of the wooden spacers and thought both 63 and 64's had them if they came with buckets. So I know I'm not crazy but still wonder why the wooden spacers.

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    I don't think it was a dealer or owner adjustment. I have seen this on other 64 Larks. The factory did it but I'm mistfied as to why. I guess I should check the parts book on this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X