Lark bucket seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark bucket seats

Why is it that 64 Larks with the lower roof line have wooden spacers under the seat rails to raise the seat structure?

Because that car was sold to a short person!

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can relate to that. We wanna see too.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

...another adjustment made for a short person would be the steering column shimmed @ the dash and maybe (not 64's) seat track shifted forward...

Comment

I don't think it was a dealer or owner adjustment. I have seen this on other 64 Larks. The factory did it but I'm mistfied as to why. I guess I should check the parts book on this one.

Comment

The 64 Larks all had the steering column shimmed down. There is a rubber filler that goes around the steering column that fills the space between the column and the dash to hide the increased gap.
            I called a friend who is very knowledgable on Larks and has torn many down over the years. He knew of the wooden spacers and thought both 63 and 64's had them if they came with buckets. So I know I'm not crazy but still wonder why the wooden spacers.

Comment

I for one can not remember finding any wood under a stock Studebaker, larks or hawks, maybe it is an east or Midwest thing to get you up higher so as the salt rots out the floors your butt is a little higher, maybe just enough to last until the frame lets go???
              Just kidding , but I really have not seen any yet, and just did a 64 Daytona......Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

My 63 GT from years ago had the wooden seat spacers. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have a virgin 64 Commander in storage. It has the bucket seats so I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm happy someone else has seen the wooden spacers. I still wonder what the purpose was.

Comment

Here is a theory to speculate about. It might be that some of the bucket seats with wooden spacers from the factory were actually bucket seats intended for the Hawks which were a much lower sitting automobile so, maybe the wooden blocks were used to make up for the taller type
                    Lark structure. I know that sometimes Studebaker back in the day was famous for making do with
                    what ever parts were available. Look at how many years they used the original 53 Studebaker
                    coupe structure....Just a theory...Waydon

Comment

My 63 G.T. has wooden spacers although they are split in two now. I seem to remember them being only on the outboard mounting areas though.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

"My 63 G.T. has wooden spacers although they are split in two now. I seem to remember them being only on the outboard mounting areas though."

Warren, I noticed that none of the spcers are plywood as many are split in two as you mentioned, all are the same size from seat to seat etc. I really think they were done at the factory but I really wonder why. Waydon's comments might be somewhat right, possibly there were two different frame heights?

Comment

i've restored three gt hawks, all of which had a broken wooden spacers on the outboard side. I thought it was to level the seat

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

I have a virgin 64 Commander in storage. It has the bucket seats so I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm happy someone else has seen the wooden spacers. I still wonder what the purpose was.
                            I would be very interested to know if the cars have the blocks. The bucket seats in my '64 Daytona convertible sit lower than the split recliners in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire and I would really prefer that they were higher. I thought about putting in blocks (spacers), but was afraid that would make the console look strange.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Waydon

Here is a theory to speculate about. It might be that some of the bucket seats with wooden spacers from the factory were actually bucket seats intended for the Hawks which were a much lower sitting automobile
                              Waydon, your "theory" was a good thought and makes sense. But I don't think it happened, because there were only one height of seat back covers for each: Lark/Hawk and the difference were many like vertical pleats on Hawks, Horizontal on Larks, map pockets on Hawks, none on Larks, so the complete seats did not interchange at the factory (for the original look), only the frames interchange.

Yep Paul my Daytona Hardtop is the same way, I look like a low rider down there! I think when the FO installed carpet the blocks were left out!

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X