Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55s
    replied
    I spent days trying to find exact material, and eventually found close material. Then I spent hours taking apart the old ones for measurements, then cutting and sewing. Vinyl is tough to sew, especially with the welt and two more layers. After doing 2 myself, and getting satisfactory results, but not perfect, I would talk to John Poulos. (www.stude.com)

His interiors look very nice and are reasonably priced. I'm not sure if you will save much money doing it yourself. I did mine before he got into business.

Fabrics and vinyls can vary greatly in price, depending on where you buy it and the quantities. You have to look around.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    I just finished my brothers 63 Avanti with a complete restoration, doing almost all the work myself including interior. I made new door and rear side panels, and replaced all the back dash vinyl along with sewing the seats- both front and rear. This was the first time I have done this and it turned out very nice. I borrowed an industrial sewing machine, and thank my mother for forcing me to learn how to sew when I was a kid. I bought all the materials from a local upholsterer or on line, and very carefully took all the parts apart, marking the insides and taking lots of pictures. I used the old pieces as patterns, transferring the markings and very carefully sewed the new pieces together. I'm sure a pro upholsterer would pick them apart, but you and I will have a hard time telling them from a pro job. Total cost I don't have an exact figure, but it was around $600 including the carpeting kit and material for recarpeting the trunk. It took a lot of hours, but I beleive it was the most satisfying part of the car I did. Hope this helps - B.V.

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    started a topic Has anyone reulposter their front seat?

Has anyone reulposter their front seat?

Has anyone reupholster their front seat at a local trade school, and how much money ,and materials did it cost? How long did it take?
Working...
X