FLASHER PROBLEM ('53 coupe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLASHER PROBLEM ('53 coupe)

This is driving me nuts and I can't seem to find the problem. I am nearing the end of a total restoration on my 1953 Starlight Coupe and my turn signal indicator lamps are causing me a problem. First bit of information is that the turn signal switch is flashing the left and right lamps (both front and rear) as they should. The indicator lights, however have a mind of their own. As soon as the ignition switch is turned on, both indicator lights come on and stay on. When I operate the selector switch the correct one flashes on & off as it should.
    WHY ARE THEY ON ALL OF THE TIME? Did NAPA sell me the wrong flasher? On the flasher, it reads 535 6volt 32cp-max4 30508.
    I get continutiy with an ohm meter between all three pins, which I did not expect to see.
    At the indicator lamp socket (with the bulbs removed), I measure 10 ohms from the case (black lead) to ground on both and 2 ohms to ground on the center leads. It makes no difference if the flasher is in or out.
    With bulbs in the socket and the ign. on, I read 1.2v at the case and .4v at the center.... but the bulbs are lit. With the flasher removed; they are dark.
    Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

duane miller

I would guess there's a problem with the TS switch OR how the wires are situated in the block plug at the base of the steering column (inside the car - not in the engine compartment).

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

New wiring harness or old? My only experience is with old. The wires that power the dash indicator lights are connected at the terminals in the 'six gun' connector, with the front turn signal lights. If they are not, your problem may be with where they ARE connected.

The flasher just powers the switch, where the power goes after that is another thing.

I'm not sure this is going to help you, but it might.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

The harness is new (the steering column wires and switch is old. The green and brown leads come through the firewall in a harness and the black (case leads) go into the witing block with the flasher... they are original. I have verifed (several times) the wires through that multi-wire connector and they all appear to be correct (finally).

duane miller

Comment

I don't know about 53s, so think this through to make sense on your car. Disconnect the bulb end of the signal wires, and maybe the switch ends, and check for continuity BETWEEN any two of those wires. You might have a short in some part of the old wires.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Check your flasher terminals. You may have them crossed up. The flasher should be marked: X for ign, L to turn switch and P is the two black turn
            indicators. If L & P are switched it may do this as L has power with switch on and P only when the flasher breaks circuit.

Comment

I will try that when I get off work tomorrow. I did not mess with the flasher wiring on the circuit breaker panel; but will see what I can determine. (Do you suppose NAPA sold me a non-compatible flasher that has those leads swapped?)

duane miller

Comment

It may just be a bad flasher. Never understand why the t.s. are wired that way. The two indicators are connected to opposite side(left to right front, right to left front). Seems one could just hook leads to corresponding side and ground the two black leads and not worry about the pilot on flasher. It is generally just used with a single indicator for both sides.

Comment

I fear I may have given you some incorrect information in the previous post. Checking the 53 wiring
                  the light will not function properly with an alternating flasher. I checked several I have here and the L & P flash together. I must have confused it with something else(old age) The P terminal
                  applies power to both indicators at the same time, but since they are connected to opposite sides
                  the voltage would be equal on the opposite indicator. Yours must have power to the P with the key
                  on for some reason. Still make sure terminals are connected properly. It's possible the flasher is to blame. I checked two new ones and no power to the P terminal at all, so it's posssible to get
                  a dud with the junk they sell these days.

Comment

Must correct myself again. I checked a couple of more and it appears P &L alternate on some and are simultaneous on others.(Wagner 550 12v for one that I checked) If I read the schematic correctly an alternating 3 prong would cause both indicators to flash simultaneously in either direction. I would take a test lamp and check for power at the different terminals to see what I have.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
                      NAPA had sold me a bad flasher... the replacement works perfectly! leyrret, bob, tom, & Mister Biggs; Thanks for your input!
                      Thank goodness I did not cut any wires. Still won't make Cedar Rapids however, as supplier still hasn't got the seat material re-manufactured and to my upholsterer

duane miller

Comment

Working...
                      X