Steam Clean Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Clean Engine?

Want to spiff up under the hood. What about steam cleaning? Risks? Has anyone done it?

How about alternatives?

Harry

Use some "Purple Power" from your local flaps. be sure to WEAR gloves! as the pp will burn your hands if you use it straight from the jug!
    I have used it on a couple engines and they cleaned up well. 2 gallons about $14

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

2nd rec for Purple Power. I use it a lot and it seems very safe for paint or rubber (strips wax pretty well though!) Use eye protection as well. I also use it to degrease old rifle stocks without destroying the finish.

Nathan

https://jeepster.vonadatech.com

Comment

3rd on the Purple Power. Also "Super Clean", and "Totally Awesome"( at Dollar Stores--$1 for 20 oz. in a spray bottle)--All work well but be careful with them.All are caustic and can damage surfaces if left on too long. Hint--Try any one as a pre-wash spray for really bad grease stains or stains on carpets.
        I would be very careful spraying steam or High Pressure washers anywhere on a car. You can force water into places it shouldn't be!!
        If you use one of the mentioned cleaners and a regular garden hose (with hot water if available) it will do a very good job on built up grease.
        1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

Comment

Just a word of caution on what will happen unless you get the new paint or at least primer on the cleaned surfaces. Steam cleaning is incredibly effective on removing grease, oil and other grime collected over the years. However, once these are moved along with loose paint any area that is exposed will rust very quickly! I know I did this to one of my cars (not a Stude) and was amazed how quickly this happened. The grease and grime keeps the moisture at bay and once it is gone, well!

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Steam cleaning is very effective, just be carful not to direct the spray into anything that should not get wet. The biggest risk is to the individual doing the steaming, it will burn you in a split second; and I have seen some nasty burns. I work for a large transit agency in Los Angeles, and we steam buses every night for the following days inspections, it takes the grease, road grime, and oil right off, along with some paint if you are not careful.

Comment

Working...
            X