• bradnree
    replied
    How to clean...

http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/faq.htm#2

BRAD

Leave a comment:

• Pat Dilling
    replied
    In my experience, bleach cleaners are likely to cause cracking. I'm sure there are those who have used it with success, but I follow the DBTires advice and it makes my tires look great. Scotchbrit or 400-600 grit wet sand paper works very well. Thanks for the tip on the 'Detail Pro' whitewall wipes.

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    I've been using some that Coker gave me at the SEMA Show last year. It's called Wide White. I usually use a purple scuff pad with it.
    Denny L

Leave a comment:

• alanmende
    replied
    I've always used Bon Ami cleanser on our wide whites. (I can't stand the smell of Comet.) A little bit of it on a wet brush, some elbow grease, and the white walls come out sparkling bright. When I say, "some elbow grease," I don't mean that it takes a lot of effort. Before the Atlantic Zone Meet in Harrisonburg, VA last weekend, it took only about 30 minutes to scrub down all four tires. By the way, Coker also advises against using Bleche White.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50

One of the first rules in the car business: If you do nothing else, clean the tires! It makes all the difference[8D]

I'll add:
    Clean the windows as well. Especially the inside of the glass.

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• CKOT
    replied
    SOS pads

Leave a comment:

• S2DSteve
    replied
    quote:If you do nothing else, clean the tires! It makes all the difference
    I 3rd that. I cannot believe how many cars I see displayed with dirty tires/wheels. It doesn't matter how clean and shiny the rest of the vehicle is, if the tires and wheels look crappy, the whole car looks crappy. And note that doesn't mean artificially shiny. Clean black rubber looks best with or without whitewalls.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    One of the first rules in the car business: If you do nothing else, clean the tires! It makes all the difference

I can not believe that Bob Palma did not say that first!! LOL

Jim

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    I am 48 years old, and have use Westley's for probably 40 of them! Lacquer thinner will work too; but my favorite is a toss-up between Westley's and Comet kitchen cleanser (powder) and a stiff brush. Follow with a tire sealer and you'll be amazed[:0]

One of the first rules in the car business: If you do nothing else, clean the tires! It makes all the difference[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• studeboy28
    replied
    Mr Clean tire eraser took black marks off my wide white walls with no bleach. They work like magic! [8D]

28 dictator
    40 commander

Leave a comment:

• S2DSteve
    replied
    Diamondback does not like Wesleys. I've followed their advice and avoided anything with bleach. I have used various brands of tire and wheel cleaners (which are all formulated to dissolve brake dust) and have very good results. Tires (and wire wheels) still look great after 7 seasons and 33,000 miles.

I have recently started using 'Detail Pro' whitewall wipes for touchups. Especially good at events where you don't have access to rinse water.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    I got some stuff from Coker, "Gangster White" I believe. That reminds me that it reminded me of 'Soft Scrub', a lightly abrasive household cleanser with ammonia. I'll bet it would clean White Walls great, and it's available in the grocery. It would require more elbow grease than the sprays, though.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Westley's works well but it is very caustic; your sidewalls may develop premature dry-checking. I would look at the products recommended by Diamond Back, Universal or Coker.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Go to the Diamond Back Classic Tire website. They have done their homework and have suggestions about maintaining and cleaning white wall tires.
    http://www.dbtires.com/index.htm

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Silverplate
    replied
    Westleys Bleche-wite is a good product. Use caution to not get it on hubcaps and wheels, it can spot or streak them. SOS pad works very good also.

Mike Jones
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X