turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signals

I have a '55 champion. I am trying to wire the turn signals. According to the kind folks at Studebaker International my car didn't necessarily oome with turn signals as the front small lights might have just been running lights for part of '55. The bulb receptacles are set up to accept the 6 volt bulbs with the little pins directly opposite one another. My belief is that type of receptacle would be for a single filament bulb and, thus, the car didn't have turn signals originally.

I would like to install turn signals. So, do I need to change the bulb receptacles? do I need to change the wiring and if so what would change? (the car presently doesn't have turn signal or parking lamp wiring and I am not a wiz with wiring diagrams so any good desriptive help, or pictures, would be most helpful).

Thanks

Cars with turn signals have a twin filiment bulb, so the socket would have 2 contacts from the 2 wires feeding them. If your car has a single contact socket then yes, you would have to change the sockets front & rear.
    With all that wiring to add, it may be easier to look into new harnesses, front & rear. You could put an ad in Turning Wheels for free (providing your a club member) or post it here. You would also need the turn signal switch & possibly change the steering column jacket too. A not so good looking but easier alternative would be an add-on turn signal switch that was a common accessory in the early 50's. Some others here with alot more knoledge than me would know for sure (like StudeRich).

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

you need to change the wiring but not the sockets. Pull a bulb and see if you have one or two contacts in the base. If one contact your car never had turn signals, you need to change the stuff *inside* the socket so you have the little phenolic washer with two holes, two contacts etc. There is a bulb that will work for this, check the 12V conversion bulb chart on my web site, that lists both the 6V number and some 12V equivalents that will work. Yes, it is an unusual bulb and you may have trouble getting it at your FLAPS. Also it will insert into the socket both ways so every time you replace one you will have to test it for proper operation.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

thanks Warren and Nate. Your help is much appreciated. I have a new "two contact" wiring from SI. It has the bullet connectors on the opposite end of the wiring to connect to the wiring that go to the fan shroud "fuse box." Since I don't have the wiring that conntects between the fuse box and the bullet connectors I will have to rig that up.

Any idea which terminals the two wires should be going to on the fuse box?

Comment

Dave Mottle should have installation instructions for AC-2700.
          http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
          "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Nate
            1176 --- I needed that info as the 55 I am working on had the 6 volt sockets and I am changing over to 12 volt.
            Thanks!!!
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The original bulbs for the turn and parking lights were #1158 in the 55's. There isn't 12 volt replacement bulb that will fit in the socket because locating pins on the 1158 bulbs are parallel to each other and any 12 volt replacement has offset locating pins. The whole socket has to be replaced. There are two contact replacement connectors available that can be used to replace the single contact connector in the original socket if the six volt system is used. Bud

Comment

Bud, you're mostly right but a 1176 or 1376 will fit and work. only downside is that the parking lights will be a little brighter than a 1034, but since on a '55 the parking lights go off with the headlights, and you're never driving with the parking lights on anyway, your turn signals will still be easily distinguishable at night. Now if you want an amber bulb... you're on your own.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

It may sound wierd,what i did was take your standard socket from a new car (the kind that comes in from the back of the light receptacle )and filed in the three tabs that the bulb unit clips into. that way i can change the bulb without taking the front lens off

Comment

My '53 originally had turn signals. I converted to 12-volt, got replacement sockets from Carquest and now have amber bulbs in front and, my brake lights/rear signals are really bright.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Watch out ,when you get the turn signal flasher. Older 55's have a two prong turn signal flasher. I suspect the 4-door 55's had a 3 prong turn flasher. Napa is selling the 3 prong turn signal flasher only. It would be cool ,if they offered a 2 prong for the stude. One tab on the flasher is female, and the the other tab is male. One is power, and one is load. If there was a electrical genius who could make the two prong, that would be cool. Sorry for repeating this.

Comment

Working...
                      X