Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'55 Commander engine smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Commander engine smoking

Today the '55 Commander exhibited much more smoking on the passenger side of the car than ever in the past since I've owned it. The exhaust manifold itself seems to have smoke emitting from it but there is no discernible oil leakage from the valve covers. There is a leak at the back, the rear seal I presume, but that's an oil leak and on the driver side. The smoke was enough I had to turn the garage celing fans on to dissipate it after less than a minute backing in. Could this be associated with the heat riser?

'55 Commander
    '55 President
    \'55 Commander
    \'55 President

I had a similar problem with my Land Cruiser. Turned out to be the felt crankshaft seal in the front timing cover. The car wouldn't smoke at home. When it got out on the highway and warmed up pretty good, the oil would get blown on the exhaust and look like the proverbial mosquito sprayer going down the highway. Of course, in the rear view mirror, it looked like it was coming from the exhaust. I finally converted it to the neoprene type seal and the problem was solved.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Alright, thanks. I'll concentrate on that area first. Sure happened relatively fast.

'55 Commander
      '55 President
      \'55 Commander
      \'55 President

Comment

Working...
      X