fuel cam lobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel cam lobe

Hello all,had anasty problem today,tcking engine sound out of oil filler pipe,shocking!
    But its the fuel cam piece that gone loose, no damage!
    Three things asked to myself:
    Had to use locktite
    Forgot a flat washer under the lock washer
    Had to use a new lock plate?
    These three things would have been better if I did them.
    I Installed a new alu cam gear,from Phil Harris,may be ther is some change needed inthe fastenings and washers I did miss at that moment.

But now,I realy do not like this lock plate system, can you leave the whole thing out ?
    Will you have unbalance in the cam shaft or is it just an advantage?
    I do not understand how the cam shaft is balanced with nine lobes?
    Of course I then will install an electric fuel pump.

Thanks,Dick Waterreus

If I understand all these "had to"'s correctly, I think you mean SHOULD HAVE! ...Are you in denial?

It is essential that you install the lock plate under the Cam lobe, as it has the stop tabs that secure the lobe from spinning, other than torquing the bolt, the rest is not too big a deal & optional. [:0]

It may be just me, but I would not use an electric if you gave me a pile of $100.00 ones. I prefer the original Studebaker/Carter which has always lasted over 20 years for me, and never leaked a drop of OIL! [:0]

I do realize however, that not everyone has a good rebuildable core these days though, I really don't have my head completely buried in the sand! Lol!

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hello Studerich thanks for your answer.
      One of my questions was if the balance would be disturbed may be you do not know an answer on such an unordinary question thats no problem,another connaisseur will have it hopefully the lock plate system seems abit weak to me but maybe I am seeing ghosts,thanks,Dick Waterreus

Comment

In actuality, that would be 17 lobes.
        Balance on the camshaft is not as critical as on a crankshaft because it is only rotating at half crankshaft speed, and the weight mass is very close to the centerline of the shaft.
        Yes, you are seeing ghosts.
        The lockplate fastening method and procedure used on the end of the camshaft is an engineering approved method used on MILLIONS of engines through the years.
        It should be used again on your engine.
        If something came apart, it was either from a component failure, or an installation transgression.
        It is a basic machine.
        Get back to basic procedures and you will do all right.
        Good luck!
        HTIH
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by hawk gt 62 rhd

Hello Studerich thanks for your answer.
        One of my questions was if the balance would be disturbed may be you do not know an answer on such an unordinary question thats no problem,another connaisseur will have it hopefully the lock plate system seems abit weak to me but maybe I am seeing ghosts,thanks,Dick Waterreus
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff thanks for your answer,I did see a v8camshaft today and was surprised of the 17 th cam as being the counter weight to the fuel cam lobe.so I learned that for a start .
          There must have been owners that left away the fuel cam lobe,while they where knowing they would put in an electric pump,I am curious for that point what was their experience.
          Thanks Dick

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hawk gt 62 rhd

Jeff thanks for your answer,I did see a v8camshaft today and was surprised of the 17 th cam as being the counter weight to the fuel cam lobe.so I learned that for a start .
            There must have been owners that left away the fuel cam lobe,while they where knowing they would put in an electric pump,I am curious for that point what was their experience.
            Thanks Dick
            The "extra" Cam lobe is for the '51-'54 Engines with the fuel pump on the Oil Filler Pipe. Camshafts do not get balanced.

I don't think very many people have removed the fuel pump eccentric, there is no need to, it should be saved for possible future use.

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The offset weight of the fuel pump lobe is so close to center of the rotating mass, that its presence is negligible, especially considering that the cam rotates half as fast as the crank. I've had experiences with out of balance flywheels where the greater mass of the flywheel is less affected by the same amount of weight on a lighter flywheel.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys,I mailed Phil Harris too and he said no problem to remove it.
                So as someone says;"do not want ,do not need" and visa versa.
                Dick Waterreus

Comment

Working...
                X