No announcement yet.

Restoring a 1963 R2 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not think airbags are going to be possible.

Most systems are controlled by the vehicles computer system and the money you spend on having it put in could probably be spent on something that already has the stuff in it.

As far as stereos go, if you use an mp3 player there is a company that makes a system where you can use the original radio and then plug you player in and will play through the radio.

Tires - while the original 6.70x15 bias ply tires look really cool (and correct) again the expense is prohibitive. Set of Firestones with the one inch white wall will run around $750. 205/75R radials will be cheaper/more reasonable.

Best of luck.

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
    [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Where can I find the recommended tires? I looked online with no success.

Comment

P205/75 R15 or P215/75 R15 The stock rims will not handle anything wider and aren't really acceptable for radials even the sizes listed above. For use as a driver you need radial tires though.

quote:Originally posted by rickburgen

Where can I find the recommended tires? I looked online with no success.

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Currently I have Perelli P77 P 205/75 R 15. They look great, I wouldn't mind sticking with something similar.

Comment

Is it possible to put in air bags?
            As already said...NO. Not unless you have Jay Leno money and contacts.
            I've never heard of an aftermarket airbag system...but if you want to be safe, make sure the factory seatbelts are in good shape and securely mounted, and think about an aftermarket shoulder harness kit. Seats from a late model Sebring convertible are great because the shoulder harnesses come out of the seat. It also provides a headrest.

Avantis are tough...not long ago here someone posted a photo here of one after being T-boned. Looked very survivable. And recall the Avanti had advanced safety items for its day...including good Mercedes door latches.
            The key to staying safe in a car crash is staying in the car.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Rick

I think you may have confused the senior members by asking about airbags. I think you mean to raise and lower the stance.

If that's the case, you would probably be better off to convert to a four-link in back and a MII type setup in front. You are also working with a relatively thin frame that would need further bracing'

However, all things are possible.

I may also be confused so just disregard the post if you mean safety pillows. [)]

Bob

Comment

No, I meant airbags, the things that come exploding out of the steering wheel, headrests filled with air. But I guess its not possible.

Comment

I also want to put the antenna on the inside. As of now the antenna is removed, so now would be a good time.

Comment

It is not that it is impossible.
                    Nothing is impossible.
                    But an airbag system is just that. A system.
                    The size of the bag is determined by the seat and the wheel and the dash and the car size/weight, and the sensors and the computers and the lawyers...yada yada yada.
                    If you are insistent on doing this, you'd need to lift the entire system from a donor car.
                    Your best starting point would be a similar size and weight car.
                    Your car, your choice.

I'd sooner run a full roll cage with a 5 point harness that run an air bag.
                    But that's just me
                    Jeff[8D]
                    PS: You are doing things in the right order..
                    Get your ride...Make your plan..Execute![]

No, I meant airbags, the things that come exploding out of the steering wheel, headrests filled with air. But I guess its not possible.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

ok ok ....I give up with the air bags. I am now focusing on the radio/antenna and the tires/rotors/brakes/anything else.

Comment

Juliano's makes a nice inside antenna...
                        http://www.julianos.com/in-car_antenna.html

Good people to deal with..'
                        They also make a great 3 point seat belt kit.
                        http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
                        Contact Jim Turner for disc brake kits...
                        http://www.turnerbrake.com/
                        Good guy to deal with, too.
                        HTIH
                        Jeff[8D]

ok ok ....I give up with the air bags. I am now focusing on the radio/antenna and the tires/rotors/brakes/anything else.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This is great thanks.. although the second link does not work.

Comment

Rick, maybe I missed it but did get the car running? If not, I definetely would concentrate on that as THE first priority before you start spending money on tires, stereos, ect. BTW, the interior came out looking just great! Russ Farris
                            1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                            1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Well, not really. My uncle and I tried it yesterday. Al we got was the fan moving. We tested a couple things out. First we opened where the supercharger connects to the engine to see what was happening. I don't know exactly what we were looking for, I think something about the fuel. ..In the end he ruled that it is something electrical. So we began to test the spark plugs with his older multimeter. But did not get to far as he did not remember how to use the thing. LOL

Comment

I am thinking about getting a new multimeter. Will any work? The one I have now is a automobile multimeter with 8, 6 or 4 cylinder setting.

Comment

Working...
                                X