No announcement yet.

Restoring a 1963 R2 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest not taking apart more than what is absolutely necessary. I have seen a lot of projects start off strong, to only end up in pieces in the end. I think it is best to tackle one part of the car at a time.

Comment

Rickburgen, is this the car from Tacoma?

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

I do not know what you are referring to...

Comment

There once was a Stude from Tacoma...
          An Avanti, and not far from home(a)...
          Tough money was spent....
          Forum advice was just lent..
          Interiors more costly than Chrome(a)

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Rickburgen, is this the car from Tacoma?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sorry
            Too much coffee this morning..
            Jeff[8D]

There once was a Stude from Tacoma...
            An Avanti, and not far from home(a)...
            Tough money was spent....
            Forum advice was just lent..
            Interiors more costly than Chrome(a)
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I just checked the hog trough. They don't seem rusted, but greasy.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rickburgen

I do not know what you are referring to...
                A while back there were some photos posted here of a turquoise Avanti in Tacoma, WA. I thought yours was that car.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
                "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Hi Rick, your car looks cherry compared to mine, so this may or not be helpful. I stripped everything out of my interior except the dashboard. I think it made cleaning easier and much of the interior needed replacement anyway. If you go this route I would suggest;
                  PB Blaster, to help loosen rusted nuts and bolts,
                  Gloves, to protect your hands when the rusted bolt snaps, Harbor Freight is a good place to buy mechanics gloves,
                  A fine point sharpie for marking parts, and clear plastic bags to
                  keep small parts organized, and a digital camera to take lots of pictures, sometimes its hard to remember how things go back together
                  A good protectant to apply to everything you can save after you've
                  cleaned it. I like Meguiar's Gold Class for vinyl and rubber.
                  At some point you may wonder why you started this project so get
                  used to taking advantage of the Forum, lots of good advice and
                  encouragement. Take your time, work carefully and enjoy the process.
                  Good luck and don't forget, we all love pictures of projects.

Comment

Does any one have any suggestions on how to clean under the hood. I want to take everything apart and give it a good cleaning.?

Comment

I picked up a large canister of household wipes -- the kind you can get at Costco -- along with an engine degreaser from Auto Zone and many, many paper towels. Those together should get 95% of the crud. Wear gloves, because you'll have to reach deep into the crevices of that engine bay and there are many opportunities to scratch the bejeezus out of your hands. Get the grime off every wire, fastener, and belt, in addition to the larger surfaces. You'll be amazed at the change a couple of hours of cleaning will make.

Comment

I am talking about disassembling the whole thing. Not just reaching in.

Comment

Based on the pictures the valve covers and other brightwork won't clean up they need to be re-chromed or replaced. Until you get the thing running you may be removing, cleaning and re-installing things that need to be replaced or rebuilt anyway and the pieces won't need to be cleaned.

You came to this forum for suggestions. Take the advice that was given and get the car running first, none of the posters here started their project by taking apart the engine compartment and cleaning it or suggested that you make that your first step. If you have to clean start with the interior it will clean up and be very gratifying when you're done. The car will run with dirt underhood and yours needs more than just a good cleaning to look pretty and if the pieces that you clean are bad they will still be bad when they're clean.

The engine should be black so it needs to be painted.

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

OK..I guess I was getting ahead of myself. What can I start with? What looks like it has to be replaced/cleaned. As of now I just want to do some work on it, whatever it may be.

Comment

Your interior looks like it will clean up nicely and will be worth the effort. The chrome pieces that are held on by phillips head screws should come off easily and removing them will make it easier to clean them and the places around them. A light polishing compund does a nice job on the interior chrome. Others have suggested products for the vinyl.

The door handles requie a special tool for removal but it's cheap and available at any parts store. Be careful with the headliner. If it's original it could be crumbly and not respond to cleaning. It can be repainted on the car if you mask things off carefully.

The rear shelf can be removed for cleaning the screws are accessible from inside the trunk.

Getting the car running or finding out why it won't should be your priority even if you plan on taking it apart piece by piece. You need a baseline. Your plans to use this as transportation means that you need to look at every mechanical piece on the car.

I know what your plans are but if you get the car running and there is a major engine problem or after you asses its mechanical state you will still have options regarding going forward or making a slight change in direction. Cars in pieces are known as 'basket cases' in the hobby and they are exciting to other hobbyists because they can usually be bought for a song. Get it running then, as was suggested, you can begin to disassemble knowing what needs to be replaced and what can be re-used as is or refurbished.

My summer Avanti project took 10 years and it was a running driving car. And I made some upgrades "errrr"...changes, to make it more roadworthy and economical. Those changes have added another few years on this project. In fact, as it's been for the past 3 summers, it's up on jackstands in pieces in my driveway. Seems when I want to actually drive it the "upgrades" require further upgrading.

A couple have guys had asked where you were from thinking there may be a fellow club member close by that could team up with you to get it running. To most of us the prospect of reviving a 'sleeping beauty' is a an exciting task and if you were close to me in NJ I would love to bring the R2 to life.

ErnieR

Comment

Well, I live on long Island(Northport). My uncle is actually a member and has been for years, he is the owner of the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X