Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tire balance with Equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire balance with Equal?

I've been using Equal in the tires of the truck fleet at work. Anyone used it in passenger tires?
    I'm about to mount the new tires on Desiree.

Pros and Cons?

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

My wife uses Equal in he coffee.
    She's fairly well balanced.
    (But she shimmy's a bit if steered the right way[])
    Jeff[8D]
    (Stemco has been selling that stuff for IMI for years)

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I've been using Equal in the tires of the truck fleet at work. Anyone used it in passenger tires?
    I'm about to mount the new tires on Desiree.
    Pros and Cons?

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Geez Jeff, you just crack me up!

Don't know the name Equal, other than for a sugar substitute.

My neighbor/friend across the alley is a trucker and uses some kind of 'beads' in his tires for balancing. Been doing it for years and is totally happy with the system. Is that what Equal is?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Is that what Equal is?
        Basically, yes; more like a powder than beads. Drop a bag in the tire before mounting. The bag breaks apart and the powder distributes itself everytime the tire rotates. No exterior wheel weights. It must be kept dry and requires replacement of the valve stem.
        Seems to work well in our trucks. I was just wondering if anyone has used it in passenger cars.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

quote:Is that what Equal is?
          Basically, yes; more like a powder than beads. Drop a bag in the tire before mounting. The bag breaks apart and the powder distributes itself everytime the tire rotates. No exterior wheel weights. It must be kept dry and requires replacement of the valve stem.
          Seems to work well in our trucks. I was just wondering if anyone has used it in passenger cars.
          I don't know about "Equal," but I have used this stuff. The Hurst "Cheater Slicks" on my '56 are recaps and you know how out of balance they can be--they have to be static "bubble" balanced and so I decided to go with this stuff. Haven't really been at high speed yet in the '56, but a buddy of mine with an old Triumph swears by it.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/s...htm#AppInstall

Comment

Here you go....
            http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/tire-balancer.aspx
            For a bunch of feedback, etc...
            Google 'Equal Tire Balancer'
            Lot's of hits...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock
            Don't know the name Equal, other than for a sugar substitute.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Try Road Force Balancing (I'm assuming radial tires). After having one car done the difference was so noticeable I took two more over to the shop the same day. The Avanti's next if I can keep it off jackstands long enough. It doesn't cost much more than std. electronic balancing either.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Working...
              X