Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

AC AND SC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC AND SC?

Getting my ducks in a row to build a motor for my 63 Avanti. it has an Ac unit on it. I also have a supercharger for it.Normally they occupy the same space. Is it possible to have both shoehorned under the hood? Any suggestions greatly welcomed.
    TIA
    Richard

If I remember right, you move the generator over on the left (drivers'), swing the blower where the generator was and put the AC where the blower was. If I'm wrong, someone will be sure to correct me. Avantis aren't my field.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I know it's been done by moving the battery to the trunk.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I found this picture in my files. I don't know who the owner is, or how well it worked, but it seems that it has been done.

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '78 Avanti II
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

quote:I found this picture in my files. I don't know who the owner is, or how well it worked, but it seems that it has been done.
          That would be the setup in my '53. I had to lose the mechanical fuel pump to make room for the alternator and raise the power steering pump. Further details in the "It CAN be done!" thread about two years ago.
          [img][/img]

Steve Hudson
          The Dalles, Oregon
          1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
          1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
          1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
          1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
          1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
          The Dalles, Oregon
          1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
          1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dixchief

Getting my ducks in a row to build a motor for my 63 Avanti. it has an Ac unit on it. I also have a supercharger for it.Normally they occupy the same space. Is it possible to have both shoehorned under the hood? Any suggestions greatly welcomed.
            TIA
            Richard
            Long time SDCer and AOAI member Chuck Lampman wrote an article for the Avanti Owners Association magazine several years ago about air conditioning a R-2 Avanti. Email me and I can send you scans of the article. His configuration allowed for power steering as well. If you don't have power steering, a Sanden compressor can go in the space used by the p/s pump.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob Johnstone has done it on an Avanti II and there is a Stude Avanti on his site that was done with tech advice from Stude.

Bob's site
              http://studebaker-info.org/

Peter Sant's How to Articles
              http://studebaker-info.org/PDF/AIR/r2air.html

Larry Drake's Article
              http://studebaker-info.org/tech/aircon/ldr2air.html

Car on Bob's registry with pics and factory tech help
              http://studebaker-info.org/avdb/R300...3/63R3143.html

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. Paul, I would really appreciate the article. I do have PS. Send to dixchief@gmail.com

Comment

The first setup doesn't provide enough wrap on the blower or the crank pulley. The second is similar but the tensioner is on the back side of the belts and increases the wrap on the blower and crank pulley. Looking carefully I think they are the same engine but with the tensioner moved to the backside of the belts.

In any case leave the blower where it is and figure out how to mount everything else. If you can do it run one set of belts for the blower and perhaps a single belt for the AC, alternator and PS.

David L
                  David L

Comment

quote: The first setup doesn't provide enough wrap on the blower or the crank pulley. The second is similar but the tensioner is on the back side of the belts and increases the wrap on the blower and crank pulley. Looking carefully I think they are the same engine but with the tensioner moved to the backside of the belts.
                    That's exactly right. Ted Harbit pointed out the wrap problem after the 1st picture was posted, so I adapted a Mustang roller to push from the outside.

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                    1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                    1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Working...
                    X