Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is typical starting of 50 Champion 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is typical starting of 50 Champion 6?

Hi

I had the motor, starter, carburetor, fuel system and just about everything else you can think of rebuilt on my 1950 Champion a couple of years ago. I have even installed an electric fuel pump.

My issue is that is still cranks for 20-30 seconds, or even more, to get this puppy running. Once started, and warmed up, it purrs like a kitten. Hot starts are not much better. Often takes 3 to 5 short 5 second cranks to get the car running.

I have seen a few discussions about a Champion 6 starting right up and idling smoothly without problems.

Is this the norm or the exception?

Do I have some problem that needs to be addressed to move my car into this "starts right up" category?

Thanks

Tim

Tim Porter
    Hebron Illinois
    1950 Champion 2dr

Tim

If you did not have the electric pump, I'd say check the carb for fuel. It would probably be a good idea anyway.

I'd guess a choke problem or to much advance at start.

Good Luck

Bob

Comment

My 51 (same engine) had the same problem until I installed a manual choke. Problem solved.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Mine doesn't have a manual choke or an electric fuel pump. It starts easily and runs fine in the summer but in the winter I have to sit in it for 10 minutes and keep revving it up because it won't idle when it's cold and it's not driveable until it's warmed up. I don't drive it much in the winter because I can't find anyone around here who can fix the problem. Hopefully both of us can get our cars running right because they're not much fun when they run like crap....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

The manual choke made all the difference in mine.

Jimmie
          Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
          sigpicJimmie
          Orange County, Indiana
          1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Ok. The manual choke seems like a reasonable solution. How do I do that? Do I just need to disconnect the automatic mechanism and fashion an anchor for a cable control to the dash?

Any one have photos of their conversion?

Thanks

Tim Porter
            Hebron Illinois
            1950 Champion 2dr

Comment

Tim

Many moons back - all you did was go to the FLAPS. They had a kit that replaced the plastic cap and added the manual cable.

HOWEVER, I've looked at enough replies in this forum that suggest that the automatic choke works well. Before you convert, why don't you look in the manual on adjusting the existing choke. It could be just an adjustment or a bi-metal spring replacement.

A lot of decent automatic chokes were converted in the "old days" because folks didn't take the time to adjust the automatic version.

Bob

Comment

I had a similar issue before we rebuilt the carb. Now, I press the gas down once and release (this primes the carb with a bit of gas), turn the key to start the elec. fuel pump, and then push the start button. The idle is higher at the start and I let that run for about 30 seconds. Then I tap the gas and the idle lowers a bit to a perfect hum.

The owner's manual says to press the gas pedal to 50% when starting hot, and that has helped with hot starts, however, I currently have a starter issue under repair (thanks for the solves SDC Forum members).

It's worth noting that the elec. fuel pump died after we built the carb (unrelated), so I had the old "one-two hit" which left us confused until we diagnosed the bunk fuel pump.

I'm glad to hear about the manual choke ... might be in my future!

Jersey2J | Sacramento, CA
                9G 1950 Studebaker Champion
                W3 4-Door DeLuxe
                Visit my Studebaker website. Updated often with Studebaker minutia - http://www.studebakerguide.com

Comment

What Bob said. Assure the automatic choke is adjusted using the manual as a guide. Also assure the accelerator pump is working in the carb. Both of our Champion powered cars had manual chokes installed by prior owners. In the process of getting the cars on the road again they were removed and the factory choke used.

Perry
                  '23 Special Six,
                  '50 Business Champ,
                  '50 Starlight Champ,
                  '60 Lark droptop,
                  '63 GT R1
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

If you want to determine if it is a choke issue, don't buy the manual choke kit just yet - take off the air cleaner and "manually choke" the carb by physically closing the butterfly... use whatever is handy to hold it in the desired position. then try and start the engine. If this works, there's your answer, if not, keep looking!

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Every one!

Thanks for the input and I will work on the automatic choke this weekend. Like you said, why throw it away if it just needs a little TLC.

Besides, I am someone who would forget to release the choke until 20 miles after leaving home. Better to let the machine do the work and not forget like the driver.[:I]

You have all helped a lot.

Tim

Tim Porter
                      Hebron Illinois
                      1950 Champion 2dr

Comment

Working...
                      X