Need Picture/Description of Hood Rubber Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Picture/Description of Hood Rubber Pieces

I am in the last stages of restoring a 50 Champion Starlight Coupe. The car came without the small ribber pieces that are "stapled" to to the rear and each side of the bullet nose. Presummably they are to pad the hood from the sheetm metal below.
    The car did not come with these pieces and consequently I do not know what they look like. I have contacted Bill Fennesset who has sold me a rubber sheet to cut new ones, but I do not have the old pieces to trace.
    Does anyone have a picture of what the piece should look like?
    Better yet, do you know where I can pick up a couple (Fennessey Studebaker does not have any)?

Doug

quote:Originally posted by dhodak

Does anyone have a picture of what the piece should look like?
    http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...hood_front.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rhood_nose.jpg

These are from a '50 Land Cruiser, so I don't know if it's the same as a Champion piece or not. But you can make out the shape fairly well. Maybe you could make a template based on the pictures??

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
    . . . he became a down payment for. . .
    Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

the one's on my 1950 champion are worn also, but the land cruisers look similar

Comment

They are shaped like mushrooms and just push through the hole in the fender. Part #274974, packaged 10 to a pack, listed on Studebakerparts.com for $14. Don't know if he has them in stock, but am about ready to order some.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks - looks like the piece I am after goes across the top as well - from one side to the other. For a lack of better words, kinda like two floppy dog ears.

Comment

Thanks - looks like the piece I am after goes across the top as well - from one side to the other. For a lack of better words, kinda like two floppy dog ears.
            "two floppy dog ears" sounds like a great description.

But I don't think it was a one piece part that wrapped all the way over. I'll see if I can play with the pic's later tonight and get a better contrast between the rubber and the dirty black paint.

Bob's description of the "mushroom" shaped pieces is right on for the fender/hood bumper pieces. But I'm sure that's not what you were writing about here.

Paul

Comment

Here is what I have on my '50 Champ. Hope this helps

Comment

Dough
                I have a N.O.S.front nose panel here with one of these still installed.
                The look like dog ears indeed.
                Come over and visit historic Joliet .Tour the 100 year old factory where the Economy Motor cars were built.
                Joliet is situated at the intersection of the Lincoln Highway and Route 66.!
                Tour our beautiful historic museum containing one of the surviving 1910 Economy Cars.
                Dough also post a picture of your P38 .

I saw it last week and it is breathtaking!!

Comment

I did a little photo "enhancement" in ImageFX to sharpen the details and make a little more contrast between the black paint and the rubber. But I'm having trouble uploading to photobucket right now.

OK, finally got it uploaded:

Send me your private email address via the SDC mailing system, and I could send you a higher res version of the picture.

Paul

Comment

Thank you again everyone. The picture of the "floppy dog ear" with the red highlight is exactly what I was looking for. I see now that the piece does not go all the way around the nose.

Mr. Kapteyn - thank you for the compliments on the P-38 "car plane". I do not have any good pictures of it yet to post. Besides, I don't want to give it away before the big SDC Meet in July. Like a fine wine, it is not time.

I may pay you a visit soon to take a look at that floppy dog ear.

Comment

Working...
                    X