Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimK
    replied
    GTtim's link is great - the larger 2 diagrams are from the TW article.

Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    Perhaps this will help: http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/tach/tachpert.html
    I got this by doing a Google search for "studebaker tach wiring diagram". Bob Johnstones site has a wealth of helpful information.
    Good luck

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• JimK
    replied
    Your best bet is to find a copy of the Jan 1980 Turning Wheels. The main article there goes into great detail on how these tachs work, with wiring diagrams and so forth. I was able to use interlibrary loan at my local public library to locate this, although some long-time SDCers will still have this if you know someone. With this article I was able to deduce that I had a bad sender (the box) and how to modify things to make the modern replacement box work, if you end up going that route.

To get you going with the 5 wires from the box:
    Red: ignition terminal of the ignition switch
    Black: ground (to a mounting screw in the Hawk)
    Green: tricky one to describe here - you now probably have 1 wire (maybe pink) between the same ignition terminal mentioned above to the positive side of the coil. You need to end up with the wire from the coil connected directly to this green wire. The circuit to the switch is completed by the red wire.
    White and yellow go to the sender. In my Hawk the longer one went to the furthest post. If the tach tries to go negative, switch these.

The third post on the sender is to ground the light, IIRC.

Good luck.

Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• battleborn
    started a topic Tacometer Problems

Tacometer Problems

Hello we are building a 63 Wagonaire and we are trying to put in a Tac set up from a 63 GT Hawk. Have the tac and the little box. First question is will the tac work with a Mallory Distributer?

If it will then I can't find out which wires go where.

TAC
    Has 3 posts. 2 that also hold the bracket to hold the tac in the dash. 1 post near the bottom that i think is power.

Little box thing.
    White with Red tracer ????
    Green ?????
    Black (very short) ???
    Yellow (in 8 cylinder location) ???
    White ?????

ANy help would be great. all the shop manuals i have don't really show how its wired. I have another Hawk with one in it but don't want to tear it down to figure out how this one works.

Jay Derbidge
Working...
X