Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stromberg WW = junk,anyone done a carb swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whacker
    replied
    A Rochester 2G should work just fine if that's what you want to do.

Leave a comment:

• hotrodstude
    replied
    from my experence studes have al ways gotten good gas mileage.my 57 259,stick would get 18-20 on the hwy. my parents 259 auto would do 17-19 mpg.i would go with a 4-barrel .390-500 cfm. i've always got better milage with a 4-barrle just keep your foot out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    You should be able to find a decent WW at a reasonable price as a good number of Studebakers were equipped with them. What model WW do you have as I have a good supply of old Stromberg parts. I probably have a good base plate on the shelf. Bud

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Sounds like you should be able to manufacture a proper fitting butterfly as there are probably folks interested in increasing their gas mileage. I looked at my carb butterfly and it does appear to be undersized for whatever reason. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• yorgatron
    replied
    it's NOT the throttle shafts that are worn out.
    the diameter of the butterflies is smaller than the diameter of the throttle body,so much so that I can see light all the way around them.
    this is not from wear and tear,this is from shoddy manufacture.
    if it needed new throttle shafts I would make some on my lathe,I've been rebuilding all my own carbs for the last 30 years,I don't need to pay someone $200 for something I can do myself.

wagons ho!

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    A good re-builder can re-sleeve worn shafts and rebuild to new specs. Pricey but do-able.

Leave a comment:

• yorgatron
    started a topic Stromberg WW = junk,anyone done a carb swap?

Stromberg WW = junk,anyone done a carb swap?

i'm thinking Rochester 2G.
    I rebuilt the Stromberg,but I noticed that the butterflies have space all the way around them,so of course the idle mixture screws have to be pretty far out to run right,which wastes a lot of gas.
    or have Studebakers always gotten rotten gas mileage?

wagons ho!
Working...
X