Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stromberg WW = junk,anyone done a carb swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromberg WW = junk,anyone done a carb swap?

i'm thinking Rochester 2G.
    I rebuilt the Stromberg,but I noticed that the butterflies have space all the way around them,so of course the idle mixture screws have to be pretty far out to run right,which wastes a lot of gas.
    or have Studebakers always gotten rotten gas mileage?

wagons ho!

A good re-builder can re-sleeve worn shafts and rebuild to new specs. Pricey but do-able.

Comment

it's NOT the throttle shafts that are worn out.
      the diameter of the butterflies is smaller than the diameter of the throttle body,so much so that I can see light all the way around them.
      this is not from wear and tear,this is from shoddy manufacture.
      if it needed new throttle shafts I would make some on my lathe,I've been rebuilding all my own carbs for the last 30 years,I don't need to pay someone $200 for something I can do myself.

wagons ho!

Comment

Sounds like you should be able to manufacture a proper fitting butterfly as there are probably folks interested in increasing their gas mileage. I looked at my carb butterfly and it does appear to be undersized for whatever reason. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You should be able to find a decent WW at a reasonable price as a good number of Studebakers were equipped with them. What model WW do you have as I have a good supply of old Stromberg parts. I probably have a good base plate on the shelf. Bud

Comment

from my experence studes have al ways gotten good gas mileage.my 57 259,stick would get 18-20 on the hwy. my parents 259 auto would do 17-19 mpg.i would go with a 4-barrel .390-500 cfm. i've always got better milage with a 4-barrle just keep your foot out of it.

Comment

A Rochester 2G should work just fine if that's what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
              X