51 Champion window regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion window regulator

I had to remove my driver's side window and regulator today - the window got stuck mid-position and the handle wouldn't move. It felt like the regulator was completely jammed up.

When I got the window out, there were several cracks in the bottom of the glass just below the level of the sill when in the fully up position (there is about 2" of glass that remains below the door sill when the window is fully closed). The cracks are pretty bad, and look like the glass was flexing in the bottom rail.

I don't know how long this existed, and it may even be the reason that the window wouldn't move. When I got the regulator out, it seems to move freely! A little lubricant and it's going back in tomorrow.

I am going to have glass cut to replace the window (It's flat glass, I can get it done anywhere, right?) I hope this solves the problem when I put everything back together.

Any suggestions while everythig's apart?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Check the screws/bolts that attach the arm rest to the door panel. If they are too long, they will cause that exact problem. As a very wise man says on this forum -- don't ask me how I know.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Bob - I'll check that for sure. Thanks. Another question - can I get any glass shop to make this from the existing pattern? Is there special glass used for door windows or just regular or safety glass? I don't think they are laminated are they?

Another thing I learned - Studebaker factory workers had unusually small arms/hands! Those access holes are tiny!

Comment

Any glass shop can make the glass. You will need to know if it is tinted or not. They have both. Also they should or can get the pattern but if your org. window is still in tacked bring it, they will make a paper pattern off of it and you are good to go. I had one made locally about 6 months ago (don't asked why) and it was around $90.00. two years ago had the entire set made (6 pieces)for $275.00 from a glass vender in Alabama. Go figure.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I had a very good experience changing out my window this weekend, considering that the breakage was unexpected. I took the old glass to a shop that was open on Saturday and they made me a clear laminated (auto safety glass) window that matched perfectly - $40!. I installed it and the old regulator worked fine. I still tore up my fingers and arms getting my hands into the access holes - I am convinced that Studebaker either employed women or adolescents on the assembly line because my hands aren't that big but I could barely fit!

Comment

That's good news Paul. But what kept the window from going down? We're all just dying waiting to find out!!!

BTW, I'm small and still had a hard time reaching those clips and things in there. Maybe Studebaker had aliens with no skeletons.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Bob - I'll never know for sure what the problem was. I suspect the glass cracked (below the door sill line so I couldn't see it) which "warped" the straightness of the glass, making it get stuck in the track. Anyway, the glass was cracked when I removed it to get the regulator out, and when I got the regulator out - it worked perfectly on the bench. Another Studebaker mystery.

I reinstalled everything with the new glass and a little lubricaton on the regulator, and all is well!

Comment

Working...
              X