Burning Brake Fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Brake Fluid?

I have a 63 Hawk that is under construction. When starting, which is occasionally, I get alot of white smoke from the left tail pipe. I mean fill the garage full of smoke. I was thinking a cooling system problem but the wet stuff that comes out the tail pipe when first started is oily and bitter tasting. It doesn't smell or taste like I would expect a coolant leak to be. My coolant level is staying the same, but I am loosing brake fluid from the firewall resivor. I filled it twice and can't see any leaks under the car. Is it poosible for the car be burning brake fluid through a poor installation or a defect in the power booster?

Ken

Maybe...
    Pull and plug the vacuum booster line and start it up...
    That'll tell you if it is the booster or not.
    HTIH
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

DOT3 IS FLAMMABLE! Don't ask me how I know.[V]
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

If your master cylinder was leaking fluid onto the exhaust pipe it would burn off at that location, not come out of the tailpipe. Since you have a power booster I imagine it might be possible if the seals are bad, fluid could leak back into the booster and get sucked into the induction system by vacuum and get burned in the combustion chamber and residue out the exhaust. I would think it be come from both tailpipes but the intake could be directing only one way in a dual-plane intake. Just a guess on my part...don't know how possible that might be.

Another reason for a leak could be a leaking wheel cylinder but that wouldn't account for the residue in the exhaust.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Mix it with a chlorine bleach tablet and find out (outside!!!)
          BTDT.. (Better perverted living through chemistry[:0][}])
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

DOT3 IS FLAMMABLE! Don't ask me how I know.[V]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It's possible that your booster is sucking brake fluid out of the reservoir and into the engine where it will burn. My Avanti had a leaking master cylinder and the booster sucked in the fluid causing the booster to fail. DOT 3 brake fluid is alcohol based which is why it will burn and also remove paint from your car's fender. Bud

Comment

Had the same problem with my 63 Hawk with Hydrovac booster as well a number of years ago... white smoke (mostly visible on start up), and yes, mostly out the left exhaust pipe. With that symptom, and losing brake fluid, pretty good chance that the seals are gone in the Hydrovac(although I couldn't tell you which seals). Jeff's suggestion is a good one: Pull and plug the booster line and start her up. Might be some residual fluid, so may want to try a couple times and see if it clears up.

Good luck!
              Best Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
              1960 Metropolitan Convertible
              1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
              1958 Cushman Eagle
              -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
              1960 Metropolitan Convertible
              1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
              1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've removed the booster hose and have started it for a couple of 15 min runs and the second running seemed to have a major reduction in smoke The car has been run for at least ten years and everything except engine oil has leaked so far. A head gasket would be cheaper for me to fix but I didn't want to tear up something that's not broke.
                Ken

Comment

Check for traces of brake fluid on the inside of the vacuum hose, that should tell you something. Russ Farris

1964 Avanti R-1
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I also had the disappearing brake fluid mystery. When I took the hose off the bottom of the Hydrovac, it ran out all over the inner fender.

Tim K.
                    '64 R2 GT Hawk
                    Tim K.
                    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Me too. I then had to repaint the engine bay and the front cowl. Be careful with that brake fluid.

quote:GTtim Posted - 06/14/2009 : 8:23:22 PM I also had the disappearing brake fluid mystery. When I took the hose off the bottom of the Hydrovac, it ran out all over the inner fender.

Tim K.
                      '64 R2 GT Hawk
                      My bet is the hydrovac vacuum line. Pull it off from the manifold and watch the fluid come out of that hose.

You need a rebuild of the hydrovac. Get plenty of copper washers for the connections when you order the rebuild.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                      Oakville, Ontario.
                      Hamilton Chapter
                      See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

Check for traces of brake fluid on the inside of the vacuum hose, that should tell you something. Russ Farris

1964 Avanti R-1
                        1963 GT Hawk R-2
                        Hey Russ......welcome to the Forum!!! Long time no see.....

Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                        X