Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whacker
    replied
    Check your overdrive cut-out switch. This is the kill switch on the paddle up by the throttle linkage that momentarily kills the engine when the overdrive kicks down for passing gear. If it is wired backwards it will act as a starter switch.

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    replied
    Everything worked fine before the swap. I did have one problem with the 12 volt starter however. Once in a while a hammer had to be used to start the car. The starter has been changed back to the 6 volts, but the solenoid is 12 volts negative ground. Does this shed some light on the problem. Thanks everyone.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• Studeman
    replied
    Are you using the old 6V starter solenoid? If so, it's "start" post is a grounding post... not a "power to" post. The original dash switch is used to provide a "ground" to the chassis of a positive-ground system. It's a single-wire switch, not like the (2) wires required for a negative-ground 12V system. IE: power(+) to the switch ... power(+) out to the solenoid... with the solenoid providing an internal ground.

You will need a 12V solenoid, and 12V dash switch... unless you wire in a relay.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Joe,Did everything work properly before the trans swap? Is this car still positive ground even though its 12V? Steve

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    Sounds like your car wants to move!
    Good luck with the remaining work, so you can roll down the highway again!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
    Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
    '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '66 Ford F-100
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Leave a comment:

• vegas paul
    replied
    And Matthew named HIS car Christine? Sounds like you've got a Christine-like personality in yours as well...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Leave a comment:

• rusty65
    replied
    This just goes to show that Studebaker was way ahead of it's time!!Nowadays you have to push a button on a key fob and point it in the direction of the car!!LOL (Seriously, I hope it's an easy fix.)

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Hmm... too many volts!! Studegeist??

LH

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    Check to see if the push starter button is stuck open. Check current on both side of the button. Sounds like it is either stuck in start mode or it is being by passsed somehow.

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    replied
    Hi Anne the starter is a push button on the dash.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Still had floor starters under the Clutch? if so sounds like when you bypass that floor switch. The solenoid on the firewall. I don't know just a thought

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Leave a comment:

• jmccarrol@hotmail.com
    started a topic Car started on it's own

Car started on it's own

Just finished installing and wiring an overdrive tranny from a 53 Champ. into my 52 Champ. both 6 cylinder cars. I used the wiring diagram for 56 and up Studebakers. The car is 12 volts. Placed the wires on the battery and it started on it's own. No driveshaft in the car so it stayed in the garage, thank god. I need all the ideas I can get. This is totally confusing. Thanks.
    Joe
Working...
X