OT ?? Busted off bolts in Al heads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,

I have been working on this thing all weekend and will head out to the garage in a bit.

Made some good progress on reassembly but not done yet. After the engine it back together I still need to finish putting the grill back together too. I had that apart to redo the panel fit and repaint some parts.

This is where I was Thurday and again yesterday.

The machine shop got one of the bolts out somehow w/o needing to use a helicoil but the others did. Cost me $12 per broken stud to get those fixed. $25 ea to plane the heads. I think the total bill with the gaskets was $250.

One reason this has been taking so long is I am detailing things so that requires extra cleaning and painting. If this was my DD, I'd just clean the big chunks off the parts and put it back together []

I need to have this all done by end of day this coming saturday so I can load up for CR.... I may need to request a extra vacation day friday. Fortunately, I have plenty of those and things are sort of slow at the office right now.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff

Nice looking installation.

By the way, Take you machine shop a case of their favorite nerve tonic. Those are great prices.

Bob

Comment

Yippee! It runs again.

Got the last bits put together, filled the oil and coolant and fired it up. No gushers anywere

I let it idle in the garage up to operating temps while looking for any leaks and let the oil and paint fumes burn off. Shut it down to let cool so I could recheck the coolant and re-installed the hood latch assy while I waited. The grill fit is better than it was, but not perfect (as if any stude is!). Got the gap between the hood and grill reduced so its not so excessive.

I just got back from about a 8 mile shake-down trip and no issues. I've not run or driven the car since last October. Now, I got a lot of work to clean and detail stuff before loading it up on the trailer for leaving for Cedar Rapids Sunday morning.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Sounds real good Jeff, right up until the part about loading it on a TRAILER to take a short little trip from ND to IOWA?

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well Rich, I will admit to being a bit of a wimp [:I] if I have a choice....

523 miles according to the maps. A full day drive. My usual limit in the '53 is about 250 miles or so. I think I'd trailer it this time even if it was a shorter jump just since I haven't driven it at all for some time and just got the engine back together. Don't want to risk unforseen problems.... I have no desire to apply for the hard luck trophy []

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I think I may have seen your car at Spokane a couple of years back...If it was your car, my compliments to you, this is a seriously trick engine swap. It looks so factory stock it hurts. I made that comment to my wife and she didn't get it, she said that it just looked like a factory engine, and my reply was 'thats the point'...she still didn't get it. Regardless, it's a job well done, I only wish I had the patience to get my engine compartment looking as good as yours.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. Stock...no way! A Stude hotrod since 1960. In my family since 1958.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Jeff made it to Cedar Rapids!
                This car is really neat.
                Very nice, and very sanitary installation.
                Ya' done good Jeff!
                Nice chatting with you.
                Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X