Brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights

IMHO, you may have a bad ground on the back lights. On electrical stuff, look at the grounds first. It is the cheapest fix. Always start with the cheapest first. Look for any loose wires in the brake light circuit. Next, look at the switch. Get a little test light, and check to see if you have continuity.

Comment

Actually putting items in the trunk of '62-'66 Larks and Lark Types, can knock the tail light/turn/stop light sockets loose from the body loosing their ground, this could be your problem.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is the connection at the brake light switch good? Check this as well.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the connections on the brake switch, and the tail light sockets are well grounded.

-Chris

1964 Daytona

Comment

Sounds kinda like a failing brake light switch to me. Just for testing purposes, when the brake lights are acting up, short the two terminals at the switch together, and check for brake lights. They should light. A faulty turn signal switch usually causes only one brake light to work when in the cancelled position.

LH
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Chris,

Check the fuses under the dash! They are located on a small fuse block under the dash just behind the headlight switch. One of these provides power to the brake lights. Also check the connections on the fuse block as these can be loose or corroded.

Do you have a wiring diagram? If not got to Bob Johnstone's tech pages and search "wiring". These are great if you print them out legal size paper. (As a side note remember the vendor that posted these when its time to order parts, as they went to the effort to post these for all to use).

Comment

Well it turned out to be both bulbs burnt out at once. Now this was the first thing I checked of course but it wasn't noticable at all untill I reallllllyyyy looked hard at each of them. They both had a slight hair line broken fillament. So, two new bulbs and they work fine again!

-Chris

1964 Daytona-Now with new and improved black primer! Pictures on the way...

Comment

Sweet! Why can't all repairs be that easy??[8D]

LH
                  Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                  X