V8 Water Manifold P/N Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Water Manifold P/N Question

The V8 water manifold (the part that the water pump attaches to.....) for '55 - '58 is p/n 536113. This p/n shows in my price book to be superceeded by p/n 1550029. But I can't find 1550029 in my parts books. I suspect it was possibly a '59 p/n that got superceeded pretty quickly, so it does not even show up in my '59 thru '64 parts book.

Anyone know what the 1550029 water manifold was used on?

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Paul: I can't find any reference to #1550029 in anything I have, either; even some post-publication Parts Books Supplements.

Here's a thoery: I've often wondered about the water manifolds used on cars with factory air conditioning. We know they had to drill and tap the boss on the left side of the manifold to have a location for the heater hose nipple that was normally on the right side of the manifold.

I've never been able to find a separate part number for manifolds drilled and tapped on only the left side, or both right and left sides with a pipe plug in the right-side hole, where it would sit under the A/C compressor.

That distinction may be a key to answering your question, but I have no idea as to the validity of the theory because I can't find any reference to support it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I do not think you will find many NOS water manifolds now, so just grab either the 4 hole thermostat housing type for '55-'60, or the 2 hole type for '61-'64 from a parts car and don't worry about the part number! There actually were only 2 types anyway, except for Trucks, R2 Larks, R2 Hawks and all Avantis.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Bob, I like your theory, but I don't remember the 4-bolt manifolds having that boss on them...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Bob, I like your theory, but I don't remember the 4-bolt manifolds having that boss on them...

nate
          Good point, Nate. Now that you mention it, I can't remember seeing a 2-boss, 4-hole manifold either. Maybe it really was #1550029 and they only made a handful of them! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I do not think you will find many NOS water manifolds now, so just grab either the 4 hole thermostat housing type for '55-'60, or the 2 hole type for '61-'64 from a parts car and don't worry about the part number! There actually were only 2 types anyway, except for Trucks, R2 Larks, R2 Hawks and all Avantis.

StudeRich
            Rich,

More or less that is what started this search. Researching in the parts manuals to figure out what I need to install a '63 V8 into my '54 Champion sedan. Since I've got a early V8 radiator that has just been recored, I will need to use the 4-bolt water manifold with the smaller top hose diameter. Was just trying to figure out which ones will work, and wasn't sure if there was some difference between the '55 thru '58 versus the '59 thru '60 car water manifolds.

Still trying to decide what to do with the starter situation, since I don't want to convert the car to 12 volts. Want to use the manual shift bellhousing that is original to the '63 engine. Considering using a 6 volt ring gear on a later flywheel, and using a 6-volt starter. However, I have not verified if the 6-volt V8 flywheel ring gear (p/n 525272) is the same inside diameter as the 12-volt V8 flywheel ring gear. Anyone know for sure?

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Paul,

you just need a 55-up 4-bolt manifold, OR I had Jeff Rice make me a little adapter plate to mount the 4-bolt housing on a 2-bolt manifold (the holes line up, but the gasket area is a little on the thin side because of the difference in thermostat diameters.)

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Paul,

you just need a 55-up 4-bolt manifold, OR I had Jeff Rice make me a little adapter plate to mount the 4-bolt housing on a 2-bolt manifold (the holes line up, but the gasket area is a little on the thin side because of the difference in thermostat diameters.)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                Nate,

Neat idea....do you have a picture of the adapter?

Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Here you go...
                  Jeff[8D]

http://rides.webshots.com/album/531664081Dqofwm

quote:Originally posted by r1lark
                  Neat idea....do you have a picture of the adapter?
                  Paul

Paul,
                  Nate
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff! Was this just a one-off for N8, or something you would make for others also?

Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Everthing I do is 'one off'
                      (ask any forum member here... They'll tell you[:0]).
                      Yes, I did that one on request from Nate...
                      I can't make another one right now, but will be able to in a little while..
                      Send me an e-mail....
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Thanks Jeff! Was this just a one-off for N8, or something you would make for others also?

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I see the 59V-60V water manifold also supercedes to 1550029. That number starts appearing in the price books in 1963, so it won't appear in any earlier books.
                        No indication of why they changed the part number. Maybe they did actually incorporate that left side boss (located half-way between the thermostat housing and the left side outlet on 1961-64 manifolds). Or maybe it was as simple as leaving the two pipe plugs out (manifolds usually came with these installed).

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
                        "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the comments and info!! Right now, I'm leaning towards adapting the 4-bolt water outlet to the later water manifold like N8 suggested. But, I do now know that I also could use any 4-bolt car water manifold up thru '60.

Still trying to decide what to do with the starter situation, since I [u]don't</u> want to convert the car to 12 volts. Want to use the manual shift bellhousing that is original to the '63 engine. Considering using a 6 volt ring gear on a later flywheel, and using a 6-volt starter. However, I have not verified if the 6-volt V8 flywheel ring gear (p/n 525272) is the same inside diameter as the 12-volt V8 flywheel ring gear. Anyone know for sure?

Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                          X