STEERING WHEEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEERING WHEEL

Any ideas on how I can remove my steering wheel from my 1950 Champ? I don't have a gear puller that will fit. Thanks.

Richard G. Allen, DO
    LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

This is no guarantee this will work for you, but it did for me on my 55 that had been sitting since 1978. Take off horn button, ring, unscrew the 1 1/4 nut but leave it on the threads.

Get a soft face hammer and beat alternately on the arms of the wheel, at the hub, pounding toward your face. Mine came off on the first tentative tap.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

My experience was far different than Tom's. The wheel on 52 was stuck more than any I've ever seen.
      Stop.
      Find or make proper puller.
      Procede with caution.
      I did not exercise proper patience, and I did get my wheel off but in about 6 pieces.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

I put anti-sieze on the puller bolts, and on the end of the puller stud. Kept spraying the steering column with Penetrating Oil. The puller was on the steering wheel for 5 days. I would go out to the garage about once a day, and try to turn it another 1/2 turn. Than one day, it just popped loose. The end of the steering column got mushroomed even with the nut still on it. Ruined the puller, but it finally came off.

Comment

Tom and Dan are both correct- some are easy, some are hard, some in between. Only way to find out is to try.

Do as Tom said; but I would add this: Position yourself in the seat so you can put the top of your thighs against the wheel. Place one hand on the top of the wheel opposite your thigh, and the hammer in the other; push up with your thigh and pull with your hand (firm pressure) while hitting the wheel. That gets most of them.

Another method is to install a puller with moderate pressure and hammer along with that.

On the most difficult ones, a series of bad words uttered first under the breath, then shouted loudly as needed are said to aid the process; as is forgetting to leave the nut on so the wheel flies off and fattens your lip. I cannot confirm or deny, since of course I have never tried either

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I once made a puller using threaded rod and four old backing plates from disc brake pads. Two pads behind the wheel and two in front. The ones in front in front were used in conjunction with a gear puller and the acme threaded screw. It has been such a long time since I used it, I'm not sure if I can describe how it works without digging it up and supplying pictures. Let me know if no one else comes up with something better.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Are grown possums born dead in the middle of the road?
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by REVDRDICK

Any ideas on how I can remove my steering wheel from my 1950 Champ? I don't have a gear puller that will fit. Thanks.

Richard G. Allen, DO
              LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Do you mean that you can't get the two halves of the bearing/gear puller plate to fit into that small space under the wheel? I haven't tried this, but I suspect one could loosen the upper steering column clamp at the instrument panel and the lower clamp at the steering box and slide the column down just enough to allow the plates to slip in under the steering wheel hub.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
              "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Working...
              X