Diesel engines in the Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Kurt
    The 3 cylinder diesel engine in the Lark is 153cig engine witha 3.6bore and a 5 inch stroke.
    Kurt,

In the picture that I took of the left side of the engine I clearly see 4 fuel lines, so a 3 cylinder it isn't! [:0] I wonder if anyone can do something to enhance the frontal picture to capture the ID tag? It never ocurred to me to record it, but perhaps Frank Drumheller did or Paul Johnson could get it.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I stand corrected[^] The engine is likely a 203cid engine similiar to the ones used in MF65 tractors. They had something like 50HP.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

quote:I wonder if anyone can do something to enhance the frontal picture to capture the ID tag?
        Looking at the larger version of the pics that you sent me, Gary; I can barely make out the body #.
        It's 63S F3 211.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmmm, a modern diesel. At least you'd have something that would handle the low sulfur over the road fuel of today. Run that stuff through the old engines and you're looking at greatly accelerated injection pump wear. Acceleration wise, a comparable hp diesel isn't likely to keep up with a gas engine in an all out race. Cruising yes, racing no. The reciprocating internal parts of diesels must be made heavier to handle the higher initial compression. Accelerating those parts is going to take longer because of the reluctance of inertia. The same way if it has a turbo, there's going to be a bit of turbo lag while the turbo tries to catch up (speed wise) with the engine. For comparable hp, the diesel is going to weight more which will hinder acceleration.

Comparing hp between a diesel and gas engine is a little like comparing apples to oranges because diesels are inherently slower turning engines. The VW diesels red line at 5000 rpm where a more or less comparable gas engine would probably produce usable hp one or two thousand rpm higher. On the flip side, a diesel is going to have more low rpm power since air flow is not restricted (other than the air filter), only fuel. This is why diesels are torquier at low rpm than gas jobs. However, if a small displacement diesel is running high boost with a turbo, at lower engine rpms with low or no boost, the little engine will really hurt for torque although I guess a smaller turbo and wastegate would help. Still there's no getting around the weight problem. A crankshaft, rod, piston and block must be strong enough (strong=weight) to handle X number of hp whether that hp is generated by boost or naturally aspirated. A gas engine can use lightweight reciprocating parts that allow higher rpms and more hp to be made at those rpms. A diesel's weight limits rpm which limits hp, so any thing that increases hp necessitates stronger and heavier parts which limits rpm even more.

Larks aren't exactly the most aerodynamic car ever produced, so that would hurt fuel mileage and top speed. And don't forget the noise factor. But despite it's limitations, I still think a big 6 cylinder turbo diesel in something like a Hawk which has more room under the hood would be really cool. With a 6 speed tranny, acceleration probably wouldn't be too doggy.

Comment

John writes: "Comparing hp between a diesel and gas engine is a little like comparing apples to oranges..."

John, so's I have an easier time visualizing - which one is represented by the apples and which is the oranges?[}]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, you're confusing me!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X