Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old fashion fibrous wheel bearing grease source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotrodstude
    replied
    is the military grease "automotive,artillery" if it is don't use it on wheel bearings it was designed for the wear strips on artillery pieces.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    I have been using some amber-colored heavy wheel bearing grease from Quaker State for a long time. Seems to work OK; at least I haven't had a wheel bearing failure that I could attribute to poor lubrication. Valvoline used to make the black, super-stringy stuff, but my last can f that is long gone. I also have a big can of mil-surplus bearing grease, but it's so old, I'm loathe to use it on a car.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Leave a comment:

• Dan Timberlake
    replied
    I might have an old can kicking around someplace.

What brand failed? Sounds like one wheel, how does the other wheel look and feel? How do the parts look? Outer bearing only? Generally rough, blue and burnt, cage worn thin and broken. ???
    I have a hard time believing a quality name brand would not out-perform the old stuff in every way.
    If the initial setting ended up very tight, I would not expect the bearings to survive extended highway running.

Leave a comment:

started a topic Old fashion fibrous wheel bearing grease source?

Old fashion fibrous wheel bearing grease source?

I have finally emptied my can of what appears to be obsolete wheel bearing grease (heavy, fibrous). I repacked a set of front wheel bearing last year with the modern red grease (recommended for disc and drum brake applications). In about 500 miles I seized a bearing. Granted it could have been something else, but I'm having trouble trusting the red grease. In fact, the rollback driver that hauled me home said to never use red grease in old cars. Problem is, I can't find the old stuff. My favorite FLAPS, two NAPAs, Autozone, Advance and Tractor Supply don't carry it anymore.
    Anyone know where to get the old stuff?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Working...
X