Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rear main seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear main seal question

I'm sure this has been asked before.. will be converting my 60' lark wagon (259) to dual exhaust.. My oil pan gasket/rear main seal need replacing.. would be a good time to attack this before the new exhaust gets installed.. can the pan be dropped with the engine sitting on its mounts? Any advice would be appreciated..

I've never had to do it but I've heard the center steering pivot has to be removed.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

thesteering bellcrank has to come off to remove the pan on a Lark or Avanti. Just remove the inner tierods, and if you have PS remove the ram end from the front of the bellcrank. Remove the pinchbolt, then remove the four bolts{two long and two short} that hold the bellcrank support to the crossmember and drop it out. Set the bellcrank aside and drop the oil pan. Lucky C-K owners only have to turn the steering to full lock. Enjoy! KP

Ken Pyle

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeken

thesteering bellcrank has to come off to remove the pan on a Lark or Avanti. Just remove the inner tierods, and if you have PS remove the ram end from the front of the bellcrank. Remove the pinchbolt, then remove the four bolts{two long and two short} that hold the bellcrank support to the crossmember and drop it out. Set the bellcrank aside and drop the oil pan. Lucky C-K owners only have to turn the steering to full lock. Enjoy! KP

Ken Pyle
        Thanks for the advice...

Comment

Working...
        X