Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Oil Leak on Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak on Top

On the 259 engine in my '63 Lark there is oil leaking from the top passenger side of the engine. This appears to be an oil line that runs to the oil pressure gauge. The valve cover is definitely not leaking. Does anyone know what the part number for the short rubber/steel? line that runs between the block and the tube that runs through the firewall? Is the line threaded into the block or pressed in?

Threaded. I don't have the part number handy but this hose is readily available from most Stude vendors and is one that should be replaced from time to time as a matter of maintenance. If yours is leaking REPLACE IT NOW ! If it has sudden failure while driving, which it is prone to do, you won't make it to the next traffic light.[V]

The upside is, your engine compartment will be liberally rust-proofed.[)]
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

530096 available from virtually every Stude parts vendor since the same hose covers many years.

This hose should be replaced as often as flex brake lines (every 5 years or so). If the hose brakes at highway speeds, it's probable that the crankcase will empty and the engine will seize before you can react.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good advice!
        Thanks for the part #, Dick. I know mine's probably as pliable as dry rigatoni...[:0]

Andy
        62 GT

Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Working...
        X