Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

54 Land Cruiser carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Land Cruiser carpet

Anybody out there have a definitive answer as to whether the carpet in the above goes under or over the sill plates. I've heard both, and I need some advice from someone with an original or a good memory as to what the original looked like. Thanks

My '54 LC had the carpet replaced by PO but as you can see, the new carpet is not under the sill plate, tho it seems wide enough to do it.

My recollection of earlier models ('51-'52) is that the carpet [u]IS</u> under the sill plate.

Good luck,
    John

Comment

On top. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

On my 55 President sedan, the carpet is not under the sill. This may have something to do with checking the trans fluid, as you have to peel the carpet back to get to the filler tube through the trans tunnel. Having it under the sill would add considerably to the task.

Bob Johnstone
        www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
        55 President State Sedan
        70 Avanti (R3)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

On my 55 President sedan, the carpet is not under the sill. This may have something to do with checking the trans fluid...
          ...and the brake fluid.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm certain that it goes over on Presidents and Golden Hawks. Not sure about others. I think this was covered in a service letter or service bulletin.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I got a two point deduction at Lancaster for having my carpet under the sill.

Bob Johnstone, Was your carpet ever replaced? There should be a round cover, secured with two screws to access the trans dipstick. It would still be necessary to pull the carpet to access the brake master cylinder.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Page 18 of the 1953 shop manual FLOOR CARPET - ALL MODELS states:

"The front floor carpet or mat and rear floor carpet should be be secruley fastened to the floor pan with the scuff plate retaining screws. Remove the scuff plate screws, insert the edge of the carpet or mat under the scuff plate, then install the retaining screws securely".

That is how I have the carpet secured on my 54 Land Cruiser... is the shop manual incorrect?

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
                Vancouver, WA.
                Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
                Vancouver, WA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studecoop

.... is the shop manual incorrect?
                  HOW DARE YOU?! To suggest such a thing is blasphemy--sacrilegious--treasonous! Oh...wait...I'm leavin' mine LOOSE! [)]

Never mind!

John

Comment

This is a new Phantom carpet I just installed in a 55 sedan. Notice the edging is missing on this piece.
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X