Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rust Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Products

Hello,

I have used POR-15 on several of my project cars. Has anyone tried
    any other product that works good? POR-15 is messy and cant be sprayed on. It wears like iron if you get it on yourself.

Clyde

It seems to wear like iron on your car, too. My 53 was done in 2000, and still looks new, the POR 15, that is.

I've tried spray on Extend, double coat on my mail box, covered it with alum paint. It started to rust within six weeks. It gets POR next time.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 608 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Clyde, this topic has come up before. I have used several products including POR15. It really depends on what you are using it for and in what location. I just used a product this evening (on angle iron) that seems like it would spray if you wanted to although I suspect the vapors would be something you would want to avoid. It is called "Rust Stop" I think. POR15 is great for areas you just want to protect in what I call "non-cosmetic" areas. I don't like using any of those type coatings in cosmetic areas such as hoods, exterior body panels etc. For my cosmetic areas, I want to have clean bare metal. I use a metal prep wash, epoxy primer, and if necessary a quality "high build" sanding primer if the metal has pits, or gouges not filled by the epoxy primer. I have used some of the PPG primers that have a 72 hour pot life and some DuPont high build primers that have as little as 2 hour pot life. Just pay close attention to the pot life times so that you don't have paint curing in your gun before you get around to cleaning it. Consult with your local automotive paint supplier regarding your project and they should steer you in the right direction. It has been some time since I have done a complete paint job and I could probably benefit from updated information myself.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Clyde, this topic has come up before. I have used several products including POR15. It really depends on what you are using it for and in what location. I just used a product this evening (on angle iron) that seems like it would spray if you wanted to although I suspect the vapors would be something you would want to avoid. It is called "Rust Stop" I think. POR15 is great for areas you just want to protect in what I call "non-cosmetic" areas. I don't like using any of those type coatings in cosmetic areas such as hoods, exterior body panels etc. For my cosmetic areas, I want to have clean bare metal. I use a metal prep wash, epoxy primer, and if necessary a quality "high build" sanding primer if the metal has pits, or gouges not filled by the epoxy primer. I have used some of the PPG primers that have a 72 hour pot life and some DuPont high build primers that have as little as 2 hour pot life. Just pay close attention to the pot life times so that you don't have paint curing in your gun before you get around to cleaning it. Consult with your local automotive paint supplier regarding your project and they should steer you in the right direction. It has been some time since I have done a complete paint job and I could probably benefit from updated information myself.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        Thanks for info John. I will be using it on floorboards and maybe the trunck. I know POR-15 is good , so I should stick to it.

Clyde

Comment

For the record, POR-15 CAN be sprayed. It's in their directions.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

If you do spray POR-15, go to Harbor Freight and buy the cheapest paint gun they have. Plan the spray job so you can do it all in one session. Throw the gun away when you are done. Use breathing protection, don't let it get in your lungs. On second thought, don't spray it.

Comment

I think one reason POR-15 works as well as it does IS the fact that it is normally brush-applied. You really brush it INTO the metal, which is particularly important if you are coating metal that has been welded or which has some scale and rust on it. Spray it, and the minute surface "highs" of the rust, scale, or welds can cause what painters call "holidays" in the coat of paint. What they are, in short, are unpainted areas where the paint spray was blocked by obstructions. Brushing the paint on ensures that both edges of these obstructions get coated, and that paint can even get forced under small specks of scale.

Speaking of other products, one that I've used, and liked well, was a rust-converting primer sold by "The Shop Products". It was a light amber latex paint, water-thinned, which turned purple, then black, as it reacted with rust. Dried to a non-sandable tough film, and really did seem to discourage further rust, even when left out in the weather. And a little went a LONG way. Being water-based, clean-up was a breeze, although if it dried on your skin, it became a tattoo. Wish I could find some more.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

http://www.autobodystore.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13371

read down to the last post.
                Pretty good paint and body site.
                64 Champ long bed V8
                55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X