Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Commander Grille Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Commander Grille Conversion

A very simple process - just have to remember to cut a new tab for the inner bezel screw:

Detail of 4 headlight grille

2 headlight grille marked for cutting. Note area for tab. I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Most of the cutting is complete

Speed nuts added to tab. Note that existing tab needed a new hole drilled.

Almost finished. The bezel fits perfectly. I do need to go back and carefully cut some tabs in the bottom to hold the bezel better. The 2 headlight unit only has 2, the 4 headlight one has 4 - see first picture.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Geez - who knew? I'd always thought the Challenger/Commander bezel was a tab-and-screw-in insert, just like the upper-line version for quads/duals/whatever. Wonder how much of what they saved on installing only two, 7" headlights in the junior lines wound up lost in tooling up for a completely separate grille. In fact, why didn't they just make the grille opening wider, while they were at it? Those ribbed fillers have always looked like somebody's last-minute patch-up job, to me; JMHO. The Ongoing Revelation of Mysteries from South Bend...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I always thought that cutting and bending those lower two tabs would definitely be the hardest part, the rest is a piece of cake! let us know how you do on that task, when you figure it out.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm going to cut the other tabs with a mini-cutoff wheel and a Dremel drill. The aluminum in that grille is harder than you'd think - bending the 2 new tabs might be difficult.

Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        '60 Lark HT
        '63 Wagonaire
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

One more pic - here's the grille with both sides done:

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Looks good.
            I was wondering about the black paint Studebaker used on the vertical grille bars.
            Has anyone ever tried to remove it? I think the grille might be anodized so I don't know if it will come off easy without ruining the anodizing.
            I don't think the four headlight grilles had the vertical bars painted like on the daytonas and cruisers.
            I have one of these grilles and was going to convert it too but I wasn't sure about how to modify it.
            Thanks for posting this!
            John

Comment

I need to remove the overspray on my grille - there's quite a bit. Will paint remover damage the anodizing?

Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              '60 Lark HT
              '63 Wagonaire
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment