Getting the R2 back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the R2 back

Good evening everyone. I just purchased a supercharger setup to put my 1963 R2 Avanti back to an R2; a previous owner removed the supercharger, and changed it to an R1.
    I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with. The supercharger is clocked in the wrong position. Can I re-clock the supercharger in the direction shown in the image below, without damaging, or messing up the setup of the supercharger? My other question is does the supercharger bracket need to be clearanced, in the locations I circled in the second image in order to clear the 6 supercharger housing bolts circled in blue in the first image? The 6 housing bolts interfere with the supercharger bracket. This is a LS bracket, and I have never seen an original so if anyone has any pictures it would be extremely helpful. Thanks Matt

I am almost certain that you can clock the generic SN60 that you have any way that suits your needs. I am also fairly certain that the bracket needs to be relieved where you have indicated in the second picture.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

if the previous owner changed it to an R1, he probably changed to R1 heads, casting #1557570. This brings the compression ratio to 10.25 to one, WAY too high for supercharging. Goes like stink, though for a while. I think the correct head is #1557582, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It started life as a truck head, and makes your motor 9:1.

Ken Pyle

Comment

Yes, you should be able to clock the supercharger by undoing the six circled bolts and rotating the housing. Just be sure to correctly align the holes on the face of the blower with the bolts in them with the holes in the blower housing. If I recall on my blower, the bracket shouldn't need any machining as they are aligned to the three of the lower bolts in the supercharger housing.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00015-3-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks Thomas that's what I was thinking but I want to "measure twice and cut once". I want to be certain before I make a costly[xx(] mistake.

Ken, I should have been more clear, the engine has the correct heads. Basically, the previous owner removed the supercharger, bracket/idler, alternator, and replaced it with a GM single wire alternator, Edelbrock carb, and an R1 air cleaner. Everything else remained the same. However thanks for the heads up.

Matt

Comment

If you don't have the original carb, you might want to change the jetting on the Edelbrock. It can be way too lean for supercharging...

Bob Johnstone
            www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
            55 President State Sedan
            70 Avanti (R3)
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

If you don't have the original carb, you might want to change the jetting on the Edelbrock. It can be way too lean for supercharging...

Bob Johnstone
              www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
              55 President State Sedan
              70 Avanti (R3)

And the R2 air horn will not fit the Edebrock.
              JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

The SN60 can be clocked to either position. However, you will likely need new o-rings. The setup should not otherwise be effected.

The carb needs to be the design for supercharging. It has several screws that are sealed. And the cut-out on the base of the carb is critical to avoid fuel spraying out the shaft bores.

In addition, the floats are reinforced brass to withstand the boost pressure.

========================
                63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                Martinez, CA

Comment

I've been using the Edelbrock under boost for a few years now and have not had any issues with fuel leakage at the throttle bores or anywhere else. The accel shaft does need to be sealed, however, but Edelbrock has a seal kit for their Marine Spec carbs readily available.

I've also had success with the standard 1406 Carb jetting. 98's in front, 95's in the rear. Jetting is a variable and experimenting pays off.

The pulley on the supercharger in the picture doesn't look like an Avanti style? Or am I just seeing things?

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

you're not, it's a later aftermarket unit. If it's got the right pulley it should work fine though assuming it's in good condition.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to be using an r3 airbox, so that should take care of some of the carb issues, but I will still need to play with the jetting. The supercharger is a SN89 with a high output pulley I got from Lionel Stone. Damaging the O-ring when re-clocking the supercharger is what I was afraid would happen, so it sounds like I should be very careful and or get a new O-ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X