Dana 44 axle ratios for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 axle ratios for Avanti

My 63 was is an R1 with automatic trans and air. What were the different axle ratios for Avanti cars and what would be the most likely axle ratio for my car?

Thanks,

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Standard on an R1 would be a 3.31, but you do not have to guess, the tin tag is under the rear axle cover screw at about 7:00, it will say: 3.07, 3.31, 3.54, 3.73, 4.09, 4.27, or 4.54 [:0]

It COULD have been ordered with a special order ratio as above or been changed over the years. The Limited-Slip Differential (Twin Traction) tag is on the right side of the cover and it does not matter if it says, 45B,C,D or whatever. If it has one, it is or WAS a TT.

You can cancel your duplicate post with the trashcan icon.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Standard on an R1 would be a 3.31
      FWIW, most of the R1 automatics I've seen had a 3.73. Your results may vary.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

quote:Standard on an R1 would be a 3.31
        FWIW, most of the R1 automatics I've seen had a 3.73. Your results may vary.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        Yikes! Seems like that would make the car pretty impractical for highway driving. Wouldn't the engine be turning pretty darn fast at 70 mph? I find my Cruiser with 4-speed and 3:31 R/A revs too high for my tastes on the open road. It is turning about 3,000 RPM at 70 mph. I am really wishing it had overdrive. Dale

Comment

Only the R2's came with 3.73's
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

with stock 15" tires,

3.31 @ 3000 RPM = 74.2 MPH
            3.73 @ 3000 RPM = 65.8 MPH

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Yes, they do turn 3000 RPM at 65.8 MPH with 3.73 gears, but it feels SO GOOD getting there! []
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes, they do turn 3000 RPM at 65.8 MPH with 3.73 gears, but it feels SO GOOD getting there! []
                That's what I figured. I can appreciate that too! [}]
                Dale

Comment

How many rpm at 60------ 289 auto 3:31? jimmijim

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

My 1963 Avanti R1 came with a 3.73 pegleg and a T-86 3 spd manual.

It now has a 3.31 TT with TKO.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

PackardV8
                        I can live with that. thanks jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                        X