• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw out bearing stuck

Dear Good People,
    I have a 57 Silver Hawk V8 3speed NO O/D

Is the throw out bearing greaseable?

I started the car for the first time since Jan 09 and the bearing must be stuck because when I try to put in gear it grinds.

This happened once before and I started it in first gear and it broke loose.

Is this a bad idea?

no it is not greasable unless you have the HD version (probably don't)

the clutch disc might be stuck to the flywheel as well... if you can push the pedal to the floor the T/O bearing isn't stuck

starting in first gear won't break anything that's not already broken

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes I can push the clutch pedal to the floor.

any suggestions ?

God Bless, Jim

Comment

James, most of the time, when I have had a throw out bearing to go, it makes some kind of squealing or rattling noise. Have you tried to start it with the car in gear?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Either the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel, or the clutch linkage is broken.

Get the car in the air and have someone depress the clutch pedal while you examine the linkage work. The linkage should be pushing the throw out fork in the bellhousing an inch or so. If not, the splined joint where the linkage attaches to the shaft on the throw out fork is usually the culprit. That can be removed, positioned correctly, and spot welded.

If the clutch linkage appears to be working correctly, with the car still in the air (and solidly on jack stands), start the car in second gear. Depress the clutch pedal and tap the brake pedal. This should free a stuck disc.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

If the clutch linkage appears to be working correctly, with the car still in the air (and solidly on jack stands), start the car in second gear. Depress the clutch pedal and tap the brake pedal. This should free a stuck disc.
            What Dick said. If the car has sat for 5 months, chances are the disc is stuck. We have a couple of cars that have that problem occasionally. (Lack of driving). Usually, starting them up in gear will free it up.

The worst one I remember was a '48 Land Cruiser. We started it in gear, drove it down the road, and I can't remember what else, but after a few days of trying, we couldn't get that disc to free up. We were getting ready to pull the tranny out.

Someone on this Forum suggested putting the rear end up on jack stands, start the car in 3rd gear, run it up to about 70 MPH, press the clutch pedal, and pull out the parking brake.

So I did that. The first two times, it choked the engine down. The 3rd time, it finally broke loose.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Must be nice to have a Stude engine that is so dry underneath that the clutch can stick. Mine are usually so self lubricated underneath that I have to sling all the oil off the clutch so that it engages without bouncing!

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Warm up the car in neutral then shut if off. Get the car out in a safe area so you can start it in first gear. It will start moving as soon as you engage the starter. Take it up to about 10-15 mph. Then push the clutch in and start giving it gas and letting off, jerking the car.

Comment

I kinda like Dick's suggestion about running the car on jackstands. Seems a bit safer that way.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Dear Good People,
                    (I have come to know that's a given with Stude people)

I pushed it out of the garage, Started it in first,
                    jumped on it a couple of times, with gas on hit the brakes, finally got the rpm's up to where I could flat shift it into 2nd jumped on it again and it went thump.

Working fine now.

Thanks for all the help,
                    God Bless, Jim

Comment

Another happy ending!

Comment

Working...
                      X