Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studelover
    replied
    I looked very close today at the trim around my headliner. I found that there are a couple of screws missing from the side trim. I'm I to understand this vacum pulling the headliner down is because the air is getting behind the headliner or because of something else. with the windows up and the vents open it doesn't do it. I will try to cput all the screws in and push the bows back into place.I don't want to hold my roof while driving.My car will be slow not because of the motor but because of the interior.

Studebakers forever!

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I'm scratching my head trying to remember what Stude they came out of..
    I know 'where', and 'when', and even remember the weather.....
    But the 'what' eludes me right now..
    IIRC, it was a '57 or '58 Golden or Silver Hawk...
    Shoot, they could have come out of a GT Hawk...But I don't remember that..
    There are three bows, and they are shorter than the opening by about 2 inches per side.
    I also got the entire chrome interior window surrounds at the same time.
    Maybe one of the forum trim sleuths can identify which model they came out of..
    Brain fade....
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

<snip>
    Jeff If I got a exterior bow, what car do I get that out of? I will look aat the junk yard tomorrow for a 62 hawk maybe I can use it.

Leave a comment:

• 1961HAWK
    replied
    62 had theexterior chrome strips but the have a different bend to them than the coupe.. new bows is best bet, but i know mine has been sucked down a few times before i was a gleam in my fathers eye. it has same old bows, but havent had that issue and only difference i see is the perferation.

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Leave a comment:

• studelover
    replied
    Studebaker had a recall[^]Oh no, who do I talk to about that? I will look in my manual if they addresed it, it should be there. Jeff If I got a exterior bow, what car do I get that out of? I will look aat the junk yard tomorrow for a 62 hawk maybe I can use it.

Studebakers forever!

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    I think Stude had a service bulletin concerning this problem. Trouble is, I don't remember the fix exactly but I think it had something to do with changing a bow in the headliner.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    It's not the material...(Cheap or expensive)...
    Yes, it is solid, but it is being pulled down by the vacuum you are creating in the cabin....
    Now that you have 'sprung' the roof bows, it will continue to happen.
    Either slide in new roof bows, or add an exterior mounted reinforcement.
    If you don't believe me, go do your test again with the windows up, but with the fender vents open and the wing windows opened all the way.
    You'll see.....
    BTDT....
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The material is not perforated, I knew there was a reason it was cheap(100.00) it would have made sense to use something light and perforated that way the air would have passed though. I was up in WV today cruzing RT 340 doing about 80 mph everytime I went to pass a car I had to push the headliner bow back up. People thought I was waving It's a shame I did not know this when building the car I would have done something to help the situation. Oh well I guess I will only speed in the winter 120 mph is not unheard of in my car, I do it often...very often[]

Studebakers forever!

Leave a comment:

• studelover
    replied
    The material is not perforated, I knew there was a reason it was cheap(100.00) it would have made sense to use something light and perforated that way the air would have passed though. I was up in WV today cruzing RT 340 doing about 80 mph everytime I went to pass a car I had to push the headliner bow back up. People thought I was waving It's a shame I did not know this when building the car I would have done something to help the situation. Oh well I guess I will only speed in the winter 120 mph is not unheard of in my car, I do it often...very often[]

Studebakers forever!

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I just added the stainless steel strips from a different model Hawk (GT? Golden? I don't remember)
    Jeff

quote:Originally posted by klifton1

Not an easy fix. I think it needs to be wraped over the pinch weld and that will require the windshield and seal be removed.
    Klif

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Not necessarily....
    Hawks are like that with the windows down.
    I sucked my headliner down on my head on I-90 at 90mph on a 90 degree day....in 1970.
    (It was all OE and stock...never touched)
    That's one reason for the fender vent doors and wing windows...
    BTDT
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I think your headliner was installed improperly. jimmijim

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    If the headliner is installed as per factory I don't think it will be an issue. Testing the durability of installation at 120 mph I see as unneeded and an unsafe method. Seriously. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• 1961HAWK
    replied
    i remember my grandpa talking about this and my hawk has had 4 headliners put in it. i dont know exactly what 1 and 2 looked like, but 3 was very heavy and solid material, the 4th one i put in was from phantom and is perferated. i havent had that issue grandpa said if ran above 90mph he had to run with the windows up or it would pull the headliner out. i have ran 120 windows down with no issues and i know my headliners isnt a perfect install since it was the only headliner i have ever done. i guess my main comment is it a solid material or is it perferated? if its solid and you have a new headliner installed maybe try perferated seems to work for me.

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    Not an easy fix. I think it needs to be wraped over the pinch weld and that will require the windshield and seal be removed.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    63 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    I think your headliner was installed improperly. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• studelover
    started a topic 61 hawk headliner

61 hawk headliner

I was cruzing my hawk yesterday when on of those modern cars tried to pass me so I floored it and passed them leaving them in the rear view mirror. All of a sudden the headliner was in my face. Somehow it balloned like a parachute. Air is getting in it at high speed. This is the first time I have driven the car with all the windows down. The question is there an easy fix for this or is this something I need to get use to.

Studebakers forever!
Working...
X