61 hawk headliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 hawk headliner

I was cruzing my hawk yesterday when on of those modern cars tried to pass me so I floored it and passed them leaving them in the rear view mirror. All of a sudden the headliner was in my face. Somehow it balloned like a parachute. Air is getting in it at high speed. This is the first time I have driven the car with all the windows down. The question is there an easy fix for this or is this something I need to get use to.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

I think your headliner was installed improperly. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Not an easy fix. I think it needs to be wraped over the pinch weld and that will require the windshield and seal be removed.
      Klif

55 Speedster
      63 Avanti R2
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

i remember my grandpa talking about this and my hawk has had 4 headliners put in it. i dont know exactly what 1 and 2 looked like, but 3 was very heavy and solid material, the 4th one i put in was from phantom and is perferated. i havent had that issue grandpa said if ran above 90mph he had to run with the windows up or it would pull the headliner out. i have ran 120 windows down with no issues and i know my headliners isnt a perfect install since it was the only headliner i have ever done. i guess my main comment is it a solid material or is it perferated? if its solid and you have a new headliner installed maybe try perferated seems to work for me.

Erin Hays
        "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
        RZRECTD
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

If the headliner is installed as per factory I don't think it will be an issue. Testing the durability of installation at 120 mph I see as unneeded and an unsafe method. Seriously. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Not necessarily....
            Hawks are like that with the windows down.
            I sucked my headliner down on my head on I-90 at 90mph on a 90 degree day....in 1970.
            (It was all OE and stock...never touched)
            That's one reason for the fender vent doors and wing windows...
            BTDT
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I think your headliner was installed improperly. jimmijim

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I just added the stainless steel strips from a different model Hawk (GT? Golden? I don't remember)
              Jeff

quote:Originally posted by klifton1

Not an easy fix. I think it needs to be wraped over the pinch weld and that will require the windshield and seal be removed.
              Klif

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

The material is not perforated, I knew there was a reason it was cheap(100.00) it would have made sense to use something light and perforated that way the air would have passed though. I was up in WV today cruzing RT 340 doing about 80 mph everytime I went to pass a car I had to push the headliner bow back up. People thought I was waving It's a shame I did not know this when building the car I would have done something to help the situation. Oh well I guess I will only speed in the winter 120 mph is not unheard of in my car, I do it often...very often[]

Studebakers forever!
                Studebakers forever!

Comment

It's not the material...(Cheap or expensive)...
                  Yes, it is solid, but it is being pulled down by the vacuum you are creating in the cabin....
                  Now that you have 'sprung' the roof bows, it will continue to happen.
                  Either slide in new roof bows, or add an exterior mounted reinforcement.
                  If you don't believe me, go do your test again with the windows up, but with the fender vents open and the wing windows opened all the way.
                  You'll see.....
                  BTDT....
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The material is not perforated, I knew there was a reason it was cheap(100.00) it would have made sense to use something light and perforated that way the air would have passed though. I was up in WV today cruzing RT 340 doing about 80 mph everytime I went to pass a car I had to push the headliner bow back up. People thought I was waving It's a shame I did not know this when building the car I would have done something to help the situation. Oh well I guess I will only speed in the winter 120 mph is not unheard of in my car, I do it often...very often[]

Studebakers forever!

Jeff

Comment

I think Stude had a service bulletin concerning this problem. Trouble is, I don't remember the fix exactly but I think it had something to do with changing a bow in the headliner.

Comment

Studebaker had a recall[^]Oh no, who do I talk to about that? I will look in my manual if they addresed it, it should be there. Jeff If I got a exterior bow, what car do I get that out of? I will look aat the junk yard tomorrow for a 62 hawk maybe I can use it.

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

62 had theexterior chrome strips but the have a different bend to them than the coupe.. new bows is best bet, but i know mine has been sucked down a few times before i was a gleam in my fathers eye. it has same old bows, but havent had that issue and only difference i see is the perferation.

Erin Hays
                        "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                        RZRECTD
                        1961 Hawk
                        1962 Lark
                        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I'm scratching my head trying to remember what Stude they came out of..
                          I know 'where', and 'when', and even remember the weather.....
                          But the 'what' eludes me right now..
                          IIRC, it was a '57 or '58 Golden or Silver Hawk...
                          Shoot, they could have come out of a GT Hawk...But I don't remember that..
                          There are three bows, and they are shorter than the opening by about 2 inches per side.
                          I also got the entire chrome interior window surrounds at the same time.
                          Maybe one of the forum trim sleuths can identify which model they came out of..
                          Brain fade....
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

<snip>
                          Jeff If I got a exterior bow, what car do I get that out of? I will look aat the junk yard tomorrow for a 62 hawk maybe I can use it.

Jeff

Comment

I looked very close today at the trim around my headliner. I found that there are a couple of screws missing from the side trim. I'm I to understand this vacum pulling the headliner down is because the air is getting behind the headliner or because of something else. with the windows up and the vents open it doesn't do it. I will try to cput all the screws in and push the bows back into place.I don't want to hold my roof while driving.My car will be slow not because of the motor but because of the interior.

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                            X