Novice question - Oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice question - Oil pressure

I searched the forum for "low oil pressure problems" and found multiple possibilities for my '52 champion running so low on pressure. But, I recently re-read the Feb 2009 Turning Wheels magazine and noticied an article called "Partial flow oil filter plumbing". This article talks about the fact that there is a special restrictor fitting at the "engine end of the oil feed line going from the engine's oil galley to the filter canister." In digging through some old parts I had removed and replaced I found one of the restrictor flare elbows as mentioned in the article (but all smashed up). I doubt I replaced it with the correct one and it could be the cause of the pressure drop.

My question is: does this special restrictor fitting go on the bottom of the oil filter canister or is it the one on the side?
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

It goes before the filter, ideally at the point of departure from the block. This will avoid leaks along the way. If you must put it on the filter, it goes on the side.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Does your car still have an oil line running to the oil filler stand pipe to lube the fuel pump arm? There should be an even smaller restrictor there.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Uh, Dwaine, it's a Champion.Fuel pump is low on the block, pass side in front.

Tom Bredehoft
        (Under Construction 608 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the help. Anyone know where to find these? My options in rural oregon are somewhat limited...
          1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
          1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

I got mine from Studebaker International. You can find contact information at the SDC Website, under VENDORS.

Tom Bredehoft
            (Under Construction 608 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thank you Tom! I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned that second oil line, now I know[:I]
              Oregon, maybe you should first disconnect the oil pressure line going to the filter and install a pipe plug in the oil galley. Then warm up the engine and drive around a little bit until you can determine if this makes any difference in the pressure reading.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
              "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Working...
              X