Bending steel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending steel lines

How hard could it be? I said. Found out today as I spent over an hour trying to form a 4 foot line of fuel tubing with no luck.
    Anyone have any tips for this novice on the best method to get this done? I have a tube bender which I have determined is smarter than I am. Is there a vendor that stocks ready made sets?
    Sorry for the silly question. We all started somewhere right?
    Thanks!
    Michael

In Line Tube may have something for you. I just got a set of brake lines for my 87 F250. Really nice and while I've bent plenty of lines myself the nice pre-bents make the job easier with no waste.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

For brake lines and fuel lines try your local Napa store, they carry a bendable Polymer coated line that you can bend by hand, and if your not happy with the bend you can staighten it and try again. I did my M-5 brake lines with it, if I needed a sharp bend I used a tube bender. It comes in various lengths,easy to cut and double flair the ends. Stock # for a 20 inch piece is 813-5453, all other lengths start with 813-

Comment

I have bent quite a few brake and fuel lines, primarily in stainless. I also use a tube bender for sharp bends I would recommend practicing a while to understand how to use this tool (this link may help: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_07.../photo_17.html).
        I believe Rigid Tool also has a good .pdf of how to properly use a tubing bender.

However, for most gentle bends I use the old line as a pattern and one of the 6 x 6 support poles in my garage. Put the tube against a corner of the pole and start applying pressure to make the gentle bend. It takes a bit a practice to get the results you want but it is not brain surgery either.

Regular steel is much easier than stainless and you might be able to hand bend it, but be careful not to over due it or you will kink the line. If in doubt use the tube bender.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I always try to use the line I am replacing as a pattern. When no pattern is available, I use wire to mock up a pattern before bending tubing. I also wait until the tubing is bent to cut the ends and make my flares. The multiple size tubing benders will work OK if you are patient. The rigid specific single size benders make the best and most professional looking bends. If you have some old tubing or scrap pieces, practice on them first. I have done it enough to claim to be experienced and still mess up sometimes...especially if I get in a hurry.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yah, the hand bend lines are great, I use my thumbs to bend it and
            grip the line in my fingers. You have to go slow and spread the bend
            or it will kink.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X