Pertronix Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix Installation

I'm in the process of converting my points to pointless. The instructions say to remove the points retainerclip. This retainer clip is riveted to the old plate. I'm going to try to grind the rivets out. How do I keep the filings from the grinder from making a mess? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by jmccarrol@hotmail.com

I'm in the process of converting my points to pointless. The instructions say to remove the points retainerclip. This retainer clip is riveted to the old plate. I'm going to try to grind the rivets out. How do I keep the filings from the grinder from making a mess? Thanks
    Jim,

What engine is this on?

Had to do the same thing on a late model Stude 6 distributor. The plate is not hard at all to remove on most distributors, and will make the job much easier.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Hi Paul: I'm working on a 52 Champion 6cyl. converted to 12 volts.
      Joe

Comment

Joe,

First, sorry about getting your name wrong!

Going by memory here......the plate is held in by three screws IIRC, and two of them are probably the screws that hold the cap clamps to the body of the distributor. Anyway, once the points and condenser are off, the breaker plate is easy to get out. You will have to remove the vacuum advance, or at least disconnect the vacuum advance arm where it connects to the breaker plate. I wouldn't even think about trying to grind these rivits off with the plate still in the car....leaning over the fender (pain in the back<G&gt, and trying to keep the trash out of the distributor! Plus, this will give you access to put a small amount of lubrication on the advance pivots located under the breaker plate.

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Hi Paul:
          My brother-in-law came over with a small grinder and had the rivetts off in seconds. There was minimal dust which we blew out with a compressor. Everything else was a piece of cake. The vacuum advance etc. was not in the way. Yes, the distributor was out of the car. Everything is in place and wired. I'm almost ready to fire the old girl up. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jmccarrol@hotmail.com

Hi Paul:
            My brother-in-law came over with a small grinder and had the rivetts off in seconds. There was minimal dust which we blew out with a compressor. Everything else was a piece of cake. The vacuum advance etc. was not in the way. Yes, the distributor was out of the car. Everything is in place and wired. I'm almost ready to fire the old girl up. Thanks again for your input.
            Good deal Joe! Glad you got it done.

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
            X